New Turkey Fryer

Poolsean

TFP Expert
Apr 15, 2007
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
After years of Smoked Turkey at Thanksgiving, had some Fried Turkey that a friend made.

FRIED TURKEY! If you've never tried it, it's not oily or greasy as you would think.
Crispy skin. Check!
Juicy. Check!
Quick to make. Check!
Delicious. Check!
No Leftovers. Check!

13 lb bird...10 people.... Turkey Carcass was all that was left!

I'll have to take photos of my next Turkey Fry. The instructions called for 3.5 minutes per lb of turkey. That was a bit too long for me. I'll have to try 3 minutes/lb at 350 degrees (unless a more experienced Fried Turkey pro can advise me on this). Gotta use the Cajun Butter Injection marinade, and Cajun dry rub.

MAKE SURE THE TURKEY IS DRY DRY DRY!!!!!

Any Suggestions at different recipies?

This past Thanksgiving DW gave me an early Christmas present :whoot: and It was a turkey deep fryer. We decided to add a 13lb turkey to our traditional 28lb oven baked, Emril Legassee famous turkey brine to our TK dinner. We normally feed 30-40 closest family and friends and all of the deep fried turkey was consumed. :goodjob:
General consesus is to do 3-4 deep fried turkeys this year :whoot:
Forget the oven baked turkey :( :cheers:

Every year, I tell myself that "next time, I'm gonna fry one." I mean that too. So, come Thanksgiving 2010, I'm gonna fry one. Now you guys need to hold me to this, okay? :mrgreen:

I have fried turkeys for years, and yes, they are every bit as good as everyone says they are!

Having gotten tired of throwing 3 gallons of once used oil away every frying, I found the Char-Broil Big Easy oilless fryer. So I bought one and did some research. I've cooked many things (turkey, hen, roast boston butts and even fish) in it. It's just as good as frying and the additional plus is that you don't have a pot with 3 gallons of hot boiling oil you're trying to place a damp bird into. I figure I have saved about $300 to $400 worth of oil so far.

I will never naysay frying a turkey. It was the absolutely best way I've ever had turkey fixed and still is. The Big Easy is easier and requires no oil and it tastes the same as if you'd fryed it.

The best way to tell if the turkey is done irregardless of method is to use a meat thermometer and cook it till it's 180ºF.

I hear that the oil is good 3-5 turkeys and the deep fryer is great for Low Country Boil and Lobsters which we did 2 weeks ago :cheers:

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN9855.JPG
    Copy of DSCN9855.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 168
257WbyMag said:
Every year, I tell myself that "next time, I'm gonna fry one." I mean that too. So, come Thanksgiving 2010, I'm gonna fry one. Now you guys need to hold me to this, okay? :mrgreen:

You are now marked on my calendar for Thanksgiving 2010! :mrgreen:

p.s. isn't it about time you change that line in your sig to try to trip some of us up? I'm watching :lol:

Butterfly said:
p.s. isn't it about time you change that line in your sig to try to trip some of us up? I'm watching :lol:

Ah yes, it would appear that I do need to pay some attention to that and I will. Watch this space for updates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been doing them in the smoker, and the old style fryer...propane/big bucket O oil/turkey for a long time....last Christmas saw this one on a TV add, looks really much safer, and easy to use http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-bbturkey.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.