Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Turkey Fryer

1. Back To Top    #1

New Turkey Fryer

After years of Smoked Turkey at Thanksgiving, had some Fried Turkey that a friend made.

FRIED TURKEY! If you've never tried it, it's not oily or greasy as you would think.
    Crispy skin. Check!
    Juicy. Check!
    Quick to make. Check!
    Delicious. Check!
    No Leftovers. Check!

13 lb bird...10 people.... Turkey Carcass was all that was left!

I'll have to take photos of my next Turkey Fry. The instructions called for 3.5 minutes per lb of turkey. That was a bit too long for me. I'll have to try 3 minutes/lb at 350 degrees (unless a more experienced Fried Turkey pro can advise me on this). Gotta use the Cajun Butter Injection marinade, and Cajun dry rub.

MAKE SURE THE TURKEY IS DRY DRY DRY!!!!!

Any Suggestions at different recipies?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Turkey Fryer

This past Thanksgiving DW gave me an early Christmas present and It was a turkey deep fryer. We decided to add a 13lb turkey to our traditional 28lb oven baked, Emril Legassee famous turkey brine to our TK dinner. We normally feed 30-40 closest family and friends and all of the deep fried turkey was consumed.
    General consesus is to do 3-4 deep fried turkeys this year
    Forget the oven baked turkey
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Every year, I tell myself that "next time, I'm gonna fry one." I mean that too. So, come Thanksgiving 2010, I'm gonna fry one. Now you guys need to hold me to this, okay?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I have fried turkeys for years, and yes, they are every bit as good as everyone says they are!

Having gotten tired of throwing 3 gallons of once used oil away every frying, I found the Char-Broil Big Easy oilless fryer. So I bought one and did some research. I've cooked many things (turkey, hen, roast boston butts and even fish) in it. It's just as good as frying and the additional plus is that you don't have a pot with 3 gallons of hot boiling oil you're trying to place a damp bird into. I figure I have saved about $300 to $400 worth of oil so far.

I will never naysay frying a turkey. It was the absolutely best way I've ever had turkey fixed and still is. The Big Easy is easier and requires no oil and it tastes the same as if you'd fryed it.

The best way to tell if the turkey is done irregardless of method is to use a meat thermometer and cook it till it's 180ºF.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I hear that the oil is good 3-5 turkeys and the deep fryer is great for Low Country Boil and Lobsters which we did 2 weeks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Every year, I tell myself that "next time, I'm gonna fry one." I mean that too. So, come Thanksgiving 2010, I'm gonna fry one. Now you guys need to hold me to this, okay?
    You are now marked on my calendar for Thanksgiving 2010!

p.s. isn't it about time you change that line in your sig to try to trip some of us up? I'm watching
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    p.s. isn't it about time you change that line in your sig to try to trip some of us up? I'm watching
    Ah yes, it would appear that I do need to pay some attention to that and I will. Watch this space for updates.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Gotta use the Cajun Butter Injection marinade, and Cajun dry rub.
    Hey Sean, If you want some good Cajun spice I'll have to send you some stuff.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

Brother I am ALL over that offer. I'll e-mail you. Just send me the bill.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sean,
    As per your cooking time comment, we always ignore the recommendations and take the bird out a minute or two after it starts to float. Always seems to work for us!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

I have been doing them in the smoker, and the old style fryer...propane/big bucket O oil/turkey for a long time....last Christmas saw this one on a TV add, looks really much safer, and easy to use http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-bbturkey.html
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6

12. Back To Top    #12

SWEEET.... just Fried a 6 lb turkey breast last night. Leftovers tonight. Still moist and juicy!
    Thanks Josh for the injection marinade and cajun rubs. 3 minutes a lb. just right.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    SWEEET.... just Fried a 6 lb turkey breast last night. Leftovers tonight. Still moist and juicy!
    Thanks Josh for the injection marinade and cajun rubs. 3 minutes a lb. just right.
    No problem Sean
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

14. Back To Top    #14

So I'll assume cajun spices from NOLA is quite a bit better than the stuff I'm finding in stores in Canada? lmao.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

laugh all you want, you can't beat NOLA cajun spices.

But of course, the secret ingredient is always, LOVE.

16. Back To Top    #16

I thought the secret ingredient was Jack Daniels whiskey?

Oh wait....that's MY secret ingredient, not the turkey rub's...
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"