rolled (J) beam versus floating deck

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Hi all - still debating some particulars on the design of the pool we hope to build this spring.

I've tried to research but tough to find info on this topic.

Which is better - a "rolled beam" edge of the pool - where they take rebar and curl it over to extend and bond the edge of the pool 12 inches or so laterally. Or a "Floating" deck - where the deck sits on top of the edge/beam of the pool?

I've heard tons of pro's and con's (issues and non-issues) from builders and pool-owners.

Opinions out there? Lemme have'm! And thanks.

RawhideKid said:
Which is better - a "rolled beam" edge of the pool - where they take rebar and curl it over to extend and bond the edge of the pool 12 inches or so laterally. Or a "Floating" deck - where the deck sits on top of the edge/beam of the pool?
  • At least you didn't bring up any topic that could be considered controversial...! :mrgreen:
    This does get discussed here every so often. Check out the following links.

• Deck dowels (skybars) or floating deck?
    In 2007, a member installing a Viking Fiberglass pool gets answers to this question but ends up hiring a pool builder who does it differently.

Where is my bond beam?
    A member in south Florida poses this question about his pool after the shell is poured.

New Pool
    Brief discussion about deck/bond beam starts mid-thread -- and my opinion!

Pool Deck Rebar or no Rebar
    The most recent thread covers deck rebar in general and whether the deck should tie-in to the bond beam. Lots of good stuff in this discussion. Here's an excerpt from what I consider to be the best post.
renovxpt said:
Cantelever patios: Understanding that the slab is always moving is the key to a catelever pour. The bondbeam needs to be slick finished from the top of the tile with a quarter bubble taper. After setting the forms cut 15lb roofing felt and fit to the top of the bond beam. This breaks any bond and allows the slab to float on the beam. As Bruce stated, never tie the pool steel into a patio slab as this does not faciltate movement.
  • How I Built My Own Swimming Pool - Decks
    Finally, here's one off-site link where a DIY builder writes about various aspects of structural integrity in concrete decks and possible solutions to expansive soil.

• Hope this helps with your decison.

Thanks polyvue!

I'll read over all of these in detail. (tough to do a search with so many concept names)

Didn't know it was so controversial/difficult of a topic. I've certainly heard both sides from a few of the pool builder's I've spoken with. Now, on to Ozone, SWG vs. Chorine, and war vs. peace... :twisted:

thx again.

RawhideKid said:
Ozone, SWG vs. Chorine, and war vs. peace...
This won't be hard...

Ozone

Everything you always wanted to know about Ozone*

• *but were afraid to ask.

SWG vs. Chlorine

This is discussed all over the board, though often by folks who are having problems with their control unit. Still, ask most people if they would give up their SWGs and, with a few exceptions, most would not. It's a staggering convenience.

war vs. peace

After giving this some serious thought, all in all, I would recommend peace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.