is calcium chloride cheaper bought as a deicer?

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
Should I stock up on calcium chloride (kind at hardware stores) this time of year or or is the cost roughly the same? I can't remember what I paid at the pool store last summer. Is there a certain texture of calcium chloride that maybe used on roads that people may not use in their pools? Any certain brands?

Trying to save alittle money this year, been laid off for 3 months and it does not look like I will be working much this year (construction worker).

One more thing, I have a fiberglass pool if that matters.

Thanks

Usually calcium chloride bought as a deicer is much less expensive than pool store calcium increaser, but there is the occasional pool store that matches or even beats the hardware store prices. Near me pool store calcium is about $1.50/lb while hardware store calcium is around $0.20/lb (both prices are based on a 40 lb or larger package size). But in areas with lots of pools you can usually find at least one pool store that is much more competitive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.