Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is calcium chloride cheaper bought as a deicer?

1. Back To Top    #1

is calcium chloride cheaper bought as a deicer?

Should I stock up on calcium chloride (kind at hardware stores) this time of year or or is the cost roughly the same? I can't remember what I paid at the pool store last summer. Is there a certain texture of calcium chloride that maybe used on roads that people may not use in their pools? Any certain brands?

Trying to save alittle money this year, been laid off for 3 months and it does not look like I will be working much this year (construction worker).

One more thing, I have a fiberglass pool if that matters.

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is calcium chloride cheaper bought as a deicer?

Usually calcium chloride bought as a deicer is much less expensive than pool store calcium increaser, but there is the occasional pool store that matches or even beats the hardware store prices. Near me pool store calcium is about $1.50/lb while hardware store calcium is around $0.20/lb (both prices are based on a 40 lb or larger package size). But in areas with lots of pools you can usually find at least one pool store that is much more competitive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think Dow Flake is even cheaper. Check the concrete aisle at Home Depot.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I went to HD today and they had the calcium chloride but also the were other additives. Does it need to be 100% calcium chloride to use in your pool?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't use it. Dow Flake is a good sub though. And cheaper usually.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

There will always be trace levels of impurities, but you don't want there to be any additional ingredients.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey poolGuyNJ, I see you live in central nj. I live in Hamilton Square NJ. i went to HD in hamilton and they did not carry Dow Flake. Any idea where I can find it.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Check Lowes or the concrete center at 524 and Route 130.

WRT to your pool equipment, is that how it came or did you replace anything?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC