Anyone care to tackle the "basics"

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
I know we have some true chemistry professionals here and it is great to be able to get in depth answers when needed. However, I thought it might also be nice to have a very basic rundown on what parameters should be tested, and why, along with the "normal" ranges for each.

That way, someone who is either brand new, or just wants the essential information will have a quick place to look.

If someone wants to put this together, I'll happily post it as a sticky reference for the rest of us. Please check your facts and your spelling. ;)

TIA.

SeanB

High Sean,

Along with what to check and why...it would also be nice to have an order of what you treat first (and why). Will a low ph effect your other readings? will a high ph? do I treat my TA before ph...etc.

dan

Here is a chart from the Taylor Pool & Spa water testing and treatment guide for raising Alkalinity using baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)

It refers to the amount of baking soda to add to increase your PPM of TA.

This info is also from the Taylor book..

If your store bought acid or calcium is a different strength (percentage content) you can adjust the treatment amount as follows:

For example, by using the calcium chloride table above you determine that you need 24.0 lb of calcium chloride (at 77%) to increase your CH by 100ppm. Your bag of store bought calcium shows 95% not 77%. To determine how much calcium chloride you need follow the following formula.

Treatment table strength / Store bought label strenth x Table treatment value = Adjusted treatment value

or

77 / 95 x 24.0 = 19.5 lb of calcium chloride at 95% strength needed to raise CH by 100ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my experience, there is no formula as to what should be adjusted first - it's case dependant upon how far out of whack the levels are. However, speaking in general, cl and pH are where I would start - if you have no cl, get some in there ASAP!!!!! and if the pH is <7.0, bring it up STAT (no cl can lead to 'nasties' in the water and is unsanitary - low pH can harm liners and corrode metals in the pool). Usually, the other perameters can be dealt with in a more leisurly fashon, high cya, salt or calcium will require some draining to lower, TA can be lowered using airation, but isn't a quick process

****NOTE**** TheOne's post on Taylor's acid chart for lowering TA is not accurate (the chart is fine but the 'slug' method it refers to basicly sucks!) Ask Chemgeek or check it out on PF, the way to lower alkalinity is to reduce the pH to ~ 7.0 and airate the water, so you do use acid, but not the way they recommend *********

[edit] I forgot to mention that, for me, the most important level to check is the BIR, if that level gets too low the day is shot {BIR = Beer In Refridgerator :D } [/edit]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.