Alternative Ways to Heat

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Greetings from the Frozen North :lol:

I have been wondering if its possible to route some piping up into the attic space (Properly sealed so no leaks would occur) to vent off the heat that accumlates up there in the summer. Curious if any of you have ever tried this, or if it even makes sense. I currently have 240 Sq. Ft. of Solar on roof and am looking to see if I can get a boost during those days when the sun isn't terribly hot. My problem occurs from the only way the panels could be installed, as soon as ice goes, and sun comes up in April I get my pool to 80, as the sun sets further and its arc is not so high, I lose that directness and the panels become less effective as the summer goes on. So I am looking at a way of trying to gain more heat.

I am dead set against anything other then passive solar heating.

Ideas anyone?

Rik

I'd certainly look at the solar attic system. I would have probably gone with that if the area of my attic was closer to the pool. I have an area over my garage that has a gable vent that would have been ideal for the solar attic system.

Have you considered adding some type of pergola or patio roof that could give you extra area for panels in a more directly sun lit area? We built a 12X24 pool house to give us a bathroom/changing room, pump house and shaded eating area, which gave us the space for our panels. I like everything about it.

I already have a pool house, 12 X 14 and a Pergola that houses some of my panels now, the other panels are on the garage roof, the house roof, sits in the wrong direction and I would have to trim alot of Maple Tree's to make it effective.

Just not to sure of this system is all, company seems a lil off if you know what I mean.

pooladdict said:
company seems a lil off if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. I think someone from this companyused to post on this forum, but can't remember what ever came of it. Search solarattic on the forum and see what you can come up with.

The amount of btu's required to heat a pool is often underestimated........usually by a mile.

Attic heat certainly works in theory but when an engineer does the calcs, you will normally find you do not store enough heat in your attic (nor replenish it fast enough to have very much effect on a normal pool.

Large attic and small pool would likely work. Normal IG pool (say, 25,000 gallons) takes an amazing amount of btu's to heat up.

I have a huge attic here Dave, its sweltering in the summer, almost unbearable, but that being said, I can see how the water would have to sit in the pipes to soak up the heat. Upon further reflection, I am thinking, cool water circulating around in those pipes would have to cause some condensation, which would result in insulation getting wet, never a good thing.

I am more then likely going to purchase more solar panels and cover the whole roof, that will keep the house cool and should warm up the pool more then it is now.

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.