Snow Removal

Jul 15, 2008
Purcellville, VA
Does anyone have some tips for snow removal off of a solid cover? Has anyone put salt down, and if so is it effective? I'm not sure it would be very good for the cover but it would better than the alternatives.

I have been using the skimmer to push/pull the snow off during big storms. It works, but it's really time consuming and depending on the storm you have to do it four or five times a day.

Well most covers should be able to take the weight of the snow, but its a good thing your trying to get it off.

I dont really know of another way to get it off, i personally wouldnt put salt on the cover though... not saying it would harm it, but it may and i wouldnt take the risk.

Besides... its a good workout pushing all that snow off... and come time to SWIM in the pool, you'll be so ripped everyone will be asking you which new workout plan uve been using :goodjob: :whoot:

I'm probably going overboard. But the pool is only two seasons old and the previous owner didn't take very good care of it.

Definitely a great workout...

I was hoping to find an attachment for the skimmer pole that might work. Like a really large squigee or lightweight shovel. If they don't exist anyone up for a new patent?

Skimout said:
Does anyone have some tips for snow removal off of a solid cover? Has anyone put salt down, and if so is it effective? I'm not sure it would be very good for the cover but it would better than the alternatives.

I have been using the skimmer to push/pull the snow off during big storms. It works, but it's really time consuming and depending on the storm you have to do it four or five times a day.

Is this an inground, above ground? If an IG, is the cover a solid tarp with water bags holding the edges?

If you promise not to laugh or roll your eyes . . .

I use my leaf blower for fresh powder. In fact, lots of the private maintenance companies around here use leaf blowers to clear sidewalks of snow. It works well for a snow depth of up to 3" or so.

For safety covers and water bag tarp covers, snow and ice float. The cover will always support the snow load if the water is where it belongs.

Covers need to have the water level in the pool no more than 18" from the the top of the coping. Springs on straps that are the primary weight supports should not be more than 50-75% compressed. These are the straps that run through the intersections of widest and longest parts of the pool.

Water bag tarp covers should have at least 2 to 2-1/2 feet of overlap on each side to allow for the pulling in towards the pool by a snow load. When the snow melts, the water should be pumped off and the cover redrawn away to be ready for the next snow load.

Keep the water off the tile line. This will require a pump. Water will be displaced for large snow loads. Having an automatic pump makes this easier.

Scott

pooladdict said:
If you check at your local hardware store, I am sure they will have the snow rakes that all us northeners use to get heavy snowfall off our roofs. This would have to work easier for you then your current method.

Hope it helps.

Just found these online last night...looks like a good option.

Have also tried the leaf blower method! It does work for the light stuff.

My covered is anchored to the concrete deck (inground). Got an automatic pump on it all winter long which works great for rain.

The reason for the paranoia is that I had some coping and tile work done this summer in the shallow end by the steps due to the deck shifting (the builder said this is common because it is where the front end loader is going in and out of the pool, compacts the dirt, and then they have to build it back up). The one thing the guy who did the repairs recommended was clearing snow in the winter to avoid stress on the deck...and I would like to avoid any future repairs costs if possible!

They are calling for around 30" of snow starting today in our town!

Skimout said:
(the builder said this is common because it is where the front end loader is going in and out of the pool, compacts the dirt, and then they have to build it back up).

Really? Common? Is this a vinyl liner pool or gunite?

Usually a liner type pool that is over-dug and backfilled comes with a recommendation not to put in a deck of at least a season so the backfill has time to settle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt, $50 for the 1st 6" and $10 for each additional 3". That includes your hefty discount. Call me if you need me.

Skimout, that tells me they didn't put any sonnet tube footers in the deck like they could. A 2' deep 12" footer at regular intervals would have provided support for the deck. Other options were compaction and a sufficient gravel bed or pavers.

A settling deck shouldn't affect the coping or tile. It might pull away the expansion joint sealer. That, if left unaddressed can cause coping and tile issues as water can now penetrate, get wicked in the mortar and eventually the tile. That usually takes a substantial amount of time to happen though.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.