Why unscented bleach

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
I've seen quite a few threads specifying unscented bleach, but haven't seen any that give a reason for this. What is in scented bleach that would cause problems? Would the additives used to provide the scent not dissipate just like the chlorine, or would they instead build up over time (similar to CYA?) and start to become a problem after long-term use? Is there a short-term problem with scented bleach? Suppose that through lack of foresight or whatever the only bleach I have on hand is scented, and I need to add chlorine before I have a chance to get to the store? Would that really be a problem?

I don't have any particular reason to use scented bleach, I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Tim.

I'm sure someone will come along with a more technical answer, but for my purposes, I want to know exactly what I'm adding to the pool and not second guess what the chemicals that give the scent are doing to the water. Bleach is chlorine, salt and lye; I'd rather not be introducing any more variables into the water.

The main problem is that the scents used in scented bleach don't break down at all easily. The scent will be quite apparent in the pool and build up over time as you continue using scented bleach. Also, scented bleach is more expensive than regular bleach. Finally, some scented bleach also contains other additives which can cause other problems, though that is less common.

A synopsis of the answers above would go something like.......

A prime tenant of the BBB method is not to put things in your pool that you don't need or are not sure of the content

For those interested in discussing the more complex ideas associated with that, I suggest starting a new thread in "The Deep End".

A side discussion about surfactants, referred to above, has been moved to The Deep End. JasonLion

Another prime tenant of BBB is simplicity and I don't want our new vistors to think BBB is more than they can do. If they choose to go into the The Deep End forum, they (and the rest of us) can get as detailed and theoretical as we want.....that's it's purpose.

For those interested in discussing the more complex ideas associated with that, I suggest starting a new thread in "The Deep End".

Another prime tenant of BBB is simplicity and I don't want our new vistors to think BBB is more than they can do. If they choose to go into the The Deep End forum, they (and the rest of us) can get as detailed and theoretical as we want.....that's it's purpose.

Good point, Dave. This has gotten a lot more in depth than I expected. Of course I should have expected it. Every time I ask one of my weirdo "I'm just curious" questions it generates a lot more responses (and more wide ranging responses) than I expect.

TimS said:

Good point, Dave. This has gotten a lot more in depth than I expected. Of course I should have expected it. Every time I ask one of my weirdo "I'm just curious" questions it generates a lot more responses (and more wide ranging responses) than I expect.
Never mind the questions... what are you going to do about those eyebrows? Oh, such eyes I never did see! yuch, yuch :lol:

No reason the entire thread can't be moved to the Deep End... could leave initial responses intact if they are better off here. Hey! What about employing one of those new Rambling moderators to do some actual work around here? Haven't they seen this thread? Don't they Casey the joint? [insert guffaws here]

Never mind the questions... what are you going to do about those eyebrows?
I suppose I could cut them off and make my mustache even bushier. :-D

What about employing one of those new Rambling moderators to do some actual work around here? Haven't they seen this thread? Don't they Casey the joint? [insert guffaws here]

Are you kidding? They're still recovering from the celebration. It'll be a couple of days, at least, before they're good for anything. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.