Been awhile since I have been able to test

Jun 24, 2008
East of Dallas
How bad is it that I have not been able to test our pool?? It has been about 20-25 days since the last testing.

I am sure the pH is high, will be able to finally test this evening. How long is too long for pH to be at a high level?

That depends on the water temperature. During the summer, when the water is warm, going 20 days without testing would be an obvious problem. But in the winter, when the water is cold, it is often quite reasonable to go that long without testing the water. Cold temperatures slow down all of the changes that might cause problems. Just how long you can go without problems depends on the actual water temperature. Generally, when the water is below 50 degrees you can go at least a couple of weeks without worrying about testing.

The colder the water, the higher you can allow the PH to get. For roughly every 11 degrees colder the water gets, you can allow the PH to rise about 0.1 higher than you otherwise would allow it. Normally the PH will shift by about this much on it's own as the water cools.

In extreme situations calcium scaling can happen very quickly, say over a couple of days, but conditions would need to be fairly extreme for scaling to proceed that quickly.

After a couple of years, you will get to a point where you know your pool and the water well enough to know when it's time to do something, especially in the off season. I'll still check the pH and chlorine monthly in the winter but I can pretty much tell what it's going to need before I test. Generally speaking, it will take about 9 oz. of acid and 32 oz of 6% bleach per month and it has more to do with dilution from rain and snow than anything else.

I'm in DFW and my water temp is 44 currently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.