When to Open for 2010

After having opened last year at the beginning of May to a green pool, we're opening this weekend here in OK. Temp is already in the 80's last couple of days! I closed last year using BBB and pool has stayed cyrstal clear all winter, and I wanna keep it that way.

irishal said:
After having opened last year at the beginning of May to a green pool, we're opening this weekend here in OK. Temp is already in the 80's last couple of days! I closed last year using BBB and pool has stayed cyrstal clear all winter, and I wanna keep it that way.

I hear ya...I am looking at the long term weather forcast and we are still due some cooler weather. Back into the sixties...water temp yesterday was still 54 degrees. I am not too worried at this point...However if things change and we stay in the 70s and 80s I will open sooner... :goodjob:

We are opening next weekend. Its my only weekend off until May and I think that will be too late to wait. Plus I am getting anxious to get that ugly green cover off and see some sparkly pool water instead! So far I have resisted the urge to take a peek at the water.....but the weather will be sooooo nice next week......

My opening this year has been really spread out. I first refilled the pool at the beginning of March, removed the cover the middle of March, got the solar cover cut this week, and today installed a solar saddle, and put the table, chairs, and umbrella back on the deck. We have yet to get in the water, but right now, I'm poolside with a beverage. :party:

mamasproject said:
Three weeks to go until opening...can't wait! :-D No swimming for awhile but at least the pool will look pretty! In the meantime I will be shopping for pool furniture, toys and plants!! :party:

I live in Harleysville, PA and I started opening last weekend. I am taking my time, doing a little here and there and expect to have the cover off and the water features and lights making everything pretty by next weekend at the latest, possibly tomorrow.

This is your first year with the pool so I say live it up. Open her up and just enjoy looking and dipping your feet in. If you are doing all of the work as well then you should just do what my Wife does to me when I disobey... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Good Luck!

My neighbor helped me take the cover off the pool...He looked in and saw how clean it was he walked around the pool and told me how beautiful the pool looked. Later in the afternoon he came over with a beer and we talked about how hard it is to care for a pool...honestly...this is as hard as I will work all summer until it is closing time. :mrgreen:

cubbybeave08 said:
My neighbor helped me take the cover off the pool...He looked in and saw how clean it was he walked around the pool and told me how beautiful the pool looked. Later in the afternoon he came over with a beer and we talked about how hard it is to care for a pool...honestly...this is as hard as I will work all summer until it is closing time. :mrgreen:

Just did my FASDPD drop test...FC 9 CC 0
I am shocked that it is still that high...

cubbybeave08 said:
cubbybeave08 said:

I'm not. :mrgreen: :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
cubbybeave08 said:
cubbybeave08 said:

I'm not. :mrgreen: :wink:

I forgot I have a floater going with trichlor...Duh!!! :hammer: :hammer:

Opening Day is here! :whoot:

Pool Company came out to do our first opening this morning...kinda cold outside but at least it's not snow!

I tested the waters and here are my readings using the Taylor K-2005 test kit

FC 10
TC 6
CC 4....can that be right? I had to use the dilution method
PH Magenta color...number didn't register
TA 90
CYA 0
CH 300

I'm hoping I did all that correctly! After spending the winter reading pool school I hope I did!
So, how do those numbers look? I know I have to add stabalizer and muriatic acid. I will use the pool claculator to figure that out. A few pictures of the pool today!

Today the Pool Company added SeaKlear, Low-n-slow and 5 gallons of LC

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Why did you do the dilution method?
Edit: oh, I see, DPD test. how many parts distilled water did you use?

If your CC is really 4 then you are going to have to shock - and you really need the FAS-DPD test to confirm things... I recommend you order that test to supplement your K2005 kit.

Try testing with 2 parts distilled, 1 part pool, and then multiply by 3. You can also do 3:1 and multiply by 4, this will read up to 20 (but does lose accuracy this way.

IF FC is 10 and CC is 4 then TC would be 14.

Could your TC be 10, your CC 4, which leaves your FC 6? I would do the test over again, use the 2:1 ratio and multiply by 3.

So I just re-tested the pool.. and this is what I have

FC 5
TC 6
CC 1

This morning the FC was 10, can the pool consume that much chlorine in 7 hours? That is if my testing was accurate. The pool guys said I had 0 FC this morning...they added 5 gallons of LC.

Based on my "new numbers" do I need to add more chlorine. The water is pretty clear, I can see to the bottom of the deep end, it just has some pollen and worms right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.