Vac Cleaner Is There a Good Reason To Use Segmented Hose?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
The segmented hose that came with my Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (like VERGNUEGEN-The Pool Cleaner) seems pretty fragile compared to the long vac hoses typically used for manual vacuuming. In fact it is more prone to air entry at the connection points. I do know that that hose is much lighter in weight than any of the full length vac hoses I've had. When I go to look at replacement segmented hoses, looking for a higher quality, more robust hose, the cost per section is really high compared to a full length hose. The common knowledge is to store the vac cleaners' hoses without coiling, so as to prevent coil memory, but it is really a hassle to take the segments apart every time I take it out of the pool. Typically I have taken it apart leaving two segments attached and drape them over a long bench near the pool, which is unsightly and I like to sit there to watch the puppies and enjoy a refreshing drink, but when I want to just interrupt using it, temporarily, when the doggies are out and swimming, I curl it around the deep end, still in water, then loosely wind the excess around the ladder rails, out of water, and place the cleaner between the step rails, out of water, in the middle of the coil. This keeps is somewhat safe from the puppies swimming over it and up against the edge of pool. It, also, keeps it somewhat safe from being stomped on by the puppies when they are bouncing around the pool, chasing each other and leaping in the pool all around the edges of pool. I've left it this way for several days (it gets very little direct sun except for the part still in water) without any coil memory. BUT.... it seems to put some stress on the junction points of the hose. Taking the hose apart, which is a hassle, and putting it back together seems, also, to put added stress on the junction points. In addition it puts excess stress on my arthritic thumb joint.

The Tracker 4X, vacuum, is only one cleaner in my arsenal of cleaners, for our EXTREME, sand/silt issues, so it is typically used several days a week, in addition to the other two cleaners, so it is in and out of the pool, frequently.

Is my original hose perhaps not the "best" one? Are there segmented hoses that are more robust? Is the original hose so light weight for a reason as compared to the heavier full length hoses?

I'm going to put together a long, cedar box, of sorts, mounted on the heavy, rustic wood fence (like commercial park fences), on the inside/pool side, that is open at the top, and open at the bottom except for several slats to support the hose, to hide the hose while stored, but hose will still be within a few feet of the pool for handy access. I can make it about 16 ft long. I'll be using cedar shelving about 8" wide.

Is there any reason I can't purchase a full length vac hose, and some replacement hose ends, and make my own segment hose, but with longer segments? Or is the full length hose just too heavy for the Tracker to drag around?

Comments please.

Thanks, gg=alice

I like my segmented vacuum hose. One thing you'll notice is that the segmented hoses float and the manual ones don't (at least the ones I have are that way). I suspect the auto vacuums work better with a hose that floats. I also notice that if I add to many or to few sections the vacuum gets stuck more than if I have just the right number of sections. So being sectioned allows me to adjust the length to suit my vacuums personality.

Bama Rambler said:
I like my segmented vacuum hose. One thing you'll notice is that the segmented hoses float and the manual ones don't (at least the ones I have are that way). I suspect the auto vacuums work better with a hose that floats. I also notice that if I add to many or to few sections the vacuum gets stuck more than if I have just the right number of sections. So being sectioned allows me to adjust the length to suit my vacuums personality.

Thanks. I was thinking that was the reason. The hose that came with Tracker had a few places that were leaking air, in the hose. I used the stretch, grasp to itself, silicone tape to seal those places. I think I'll use the tape around the join of two sections, maybe three depending on how long I make the storage box.

gg=alice

Love our segmented hose

I love our segmented hose, which came with the house and pool. It is translucent, which makes it easy to see any leaf that might have gotten stuck midway in the hose. Because it is segmented, it is then very easy to remove such obstructions.

It does not ever seem to leak, so there must be some variety of quality out there.

I keep mine in a very large plastic garbage can that has holes in the bottom for the water to come out. When it is time to put it away, I put it in the can in a figure-8 fashion--not easy to do the first couple of times, and it does look messy and odd, but the hose comes out straight the next time I use it. I do this figure-8 thing with garden hoses and electrical extension cords too. No crimping and water cut-off with the garden hose that way.

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.