Major revision to Pool Calculator

The general rule is that it will recalculate any time you move to another field. I just hit tab after any entry and everything updates. Changing the Now value, and moving to another field, will cause a recalculation and then changing the Goal column, and moving to another field, should cause another recalculation. So you will see intermediate results as you change fields, but simply finish up with a tab or a click on a new cell and you should see the final numbers.

If you continue to have problems could you tell me which web browser you are using and the specific entries/clicks you make that lead to a problem?

I don't know if this is something you would consider, but it would be nice if it could backward solve too or solve for any field. For example, being a pool newbie, I wanted to know how much my FC ppm should go up if I added a certain amount, say 1/2 gallon, of 12.5% liquid CL. Sometimes it is hard to get the right measurment devices, so you need to use more coventional measuring methods and be able to see what the effect should or would be. I have been using a 16oz plastic cup to measure out borax and stabilizer. Instead of trying to figure out how to measure out 42oz, it is sometimes easier to know how much 32oz will affect your chemistry.

I hope that made sense. If the suggestion is too bothersome, I can still keep doing the trial and error thing.... :)

heatmisr - that is a great idea. I will add it to the list of things to be done. I am not sure I can see an obvious way to setup the user interface to allow it to solve for any field, but it won't be too difficult to add a seperate calculator for at least the "if I add this what happens" case.

I have a new version of my pool calculator for beta test this weekend. You can access the beta test version at Pool Calculator Beta.

There are two major new features and a bug fix. Metric and Imperial units are now supported. There is a new estimating the effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom. Also, the calculation for the volume of oval pools was wrong and has been corrected.

I am particuarly excited about the new "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the very bottom. It allows you to see things like how much CYA various amounts of dichlor will add and the relative effects of borax, soda ash, and baking soda on TA.

This is a beta test version, as such not everything may work correctly and amounts of chemicals or other calculations might be wrong. Because of that I am leaving the old version up at the normal URL for the next few days. When this version has gotten more testing I will replace the previous version with the new one at the normal URL.

I welcome any testing, feedback, or comments you may have!

Thanks
Jason

TA Adjustment

Hey Jason- Great improvements to the calculator. Lots of HTML code there and lots of work I am sure. I have a question, does the calculator do the TA adjustment based on the actual CYA or should I enter the TA as an adjusted value based on my CYA. Thanks in advance. Keep up the great work. I am sure you are helping a lot of folks- Just as you have helped me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of the wonderful comments!

The beta test is over and I have moved the new version to the regular URL (in my signature). While I was at it I also added some help text that explains what the various numbers mean (FC, PH, TA, CH, and so on).

Jason

:idea: I don't know if this is a valid request but I'll throw it out there anyway...

When the pool calc loads, it loads with the defaults across the board for both the now & target values:
Size =10000 gal, FC = 4, Ph =7.5, TA = 100, CH = 260, CYA = 40, Temp = 84

It would be great to be able to specify the target values in the url that way I could bookmark:
Code:
http://www.poolcalculator.com/index.cgi?size=15000&tfc=2&tph=72&tta=110&tch=250&tcya=75&temp=78

And the page would load already set up for my pool! :-D

Taking that a step further if you could specify the "now" values too then you could directly link to poolcaculator from excel or where ever else you chose to record you numbers.
Code:
http://www.poolcalculator.com/index.cgi?size=15000&tfc=2&tph=72&tta=110&tch=250&tcya=70&temp=78&nfc=1&nph=80&nta=90&nth=220&ncya=60

I know this is really geeky so feel free to slap me down here! :wink:

OK, the metric stuff is great, but one has to change the setting back to U.S. to get proper recommendations and the correct CSI readings. It took me a little while to figure out why my CSI was 4.46 (-0.02 in reality). :?

I think it would be great if the entered values could be saved in a cookie as well.

Storing the current values in a cookie is now at the top of my list of things to do next.

Kinguni, could you tell me more about the problem you are having with metric? There must be something I don't understand because nothing like what you describe happens to me.

If you plug in some values (I made them up) in metric, and change to US, the CSI changes drastically.
values I used in metric:
10K gal
FC 8
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 80
Borates 50
In metric CSI is 4.53. If you switch to US (keeping everything the same, CSI is -0.1.

hope that helps... I am using firefox 2.0.0.6 if that makes a difference.

ETA ok, so 10K gallons is not metric, but I did not change that value (37854 l) :oops:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.