Sticky Seats

Mar 14, 2009
The inside of my hot tub has developed a sticky feel after about three months. Not as much as it did with the first filling (this is the third). I'm planning on refilling soon and am looking for suggestions for how to clean the inside of the fiberglass tub.

Any homebrew cleaners proved successful? How about a very fine automobile rubbing compound?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Curmudgeon

350 gal Infinity using BBB

I have a white acrylic tub and find that ammonia is the best thing to clean it with. It was a rescue, and when I first got it it was covered in years of dirt and rust from sitting out uncovered. Ammonia was the only thing that would come close to removing all the stains in it. However, you have to a: be sure the tub is free of chlorine before you add it, and b: rinse the heck out of it. Almost to the point of an extra drain/refill. I don't do it every time. The first time I didn't clean it thoroughly enough and it took weeks to get the water in shape (after I'd drained and refilled once to superchlorinate and clean all the gunk out). I imagine TSP would also do a good job but have never tried it. Same rinsing rule would apply.

I mostly use it to clean the outside of the tub because the white acrylic covers the whole thing, top to bottom, inside and out. The inside of mine doesn't need it that often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.