Have a question about what's normal...

stomey

Jan 31, 2010
My parents just spent a fortune getting their pool re-plastered and the deck area refinished. We live in AZ. My mom said there are ridges or ripples in the plaster in the shallow end. She asked the pool guy about it he said it was normal... Is it? I'm not sure if it's related or not, but it was raining intermittently during the plastering process. I already think my parents spent too much money, and I'm wanting to make sure they get this fixed right away if it's not normal. You'd think a smooth flat surface wouldn't be unreasonable, right? Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

stomey said:
My parents just spent a fortune getting their pool re-plastered and the deck area refinished. We live in AZ. My mom said there are ridges or ripples in the plaster in the shallow end. She asked the pool guy about it he said it was normal... Is it? I'm not sure if it's related or not, but it was raining intermittently during the plastering process. I already think my parents spent too much money, and I'm wanting to make sure they get this fixed right away if it's not normal. You'd think a smooth flat surface wouldn't be unreasonable, right? Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.
Welcome to TFP :-D

Replastering is a lot of money and I'd probably be out at my pool looking for any defects, too. Could you post some digital photos of the shallow-end in the area that she's most concerned about? Best to have a few different angles since the camera is probably not as adept at seeing through water. I don't know that a light rain would be detrimental to the new plaster... it's possible that the surface was not adequately prepared before plastering.

stomey said:
My mom said there are ridges or ripples in the plaster in the shallow end. She asked the pool guy about it he said it was normal... Is it?

Yes there are some after application ripples, on new or refinishing plaster pool finishes, from the men who did the troweling. They really shouldn't be that noticeable in the daylight, and should be more visible with the pool lights on at night.

They're everywhere in real life that you don't notice. Pick a wall in your home, turn the lights off and shine a flashlight down the runout. This is how I describe the pool finishes underwater with the lights on when we receive a complaint.

I, honestly, wouldn't expect the applicator to refinish the pool or do anything additional for free on the finish at the job.

See ya,
Kelly

The comment "raining intermittently" would have me concerned. A heavy mist might be enough to mess the finish and it's water/cement/agregate ratio. Too much water during troweling can weaken it, cause cracking, etc... depending on the type of finish being applied.

As for waviness, it they're smooth and gentle rolls, they are normal. Trowel marks should be nonexistent or nearly so. Completely normal, as huskyrider/kelly said.

As polyvue asked, I'll second it. Some pix or links to them would help.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.