electricity cost question for VF3050

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just turn down my pump operation time to 5 hours a day from 9. 14000 gal inground pool.
I have the pentair VS-3050
my pool guys set up different speeds.
2- hrs on 3350 rpm
3- hr on 2250 rpm
According to the pump Calculator. I will turn the water once a day and only use about $10-15 a month on electricity?

Questions
1. So with SWG will 1 turn per day be enough?
2. will 5 hour operation a day really be about $10-15 a month?

How long you need to run the pump for the SWG is a not an easy question to answer because there are so many other variables, such as the SWG output setting, the size of the SWG, the age of the SWG, the temperature and chlorine use. I'd start at 100% SWG level and just check the chlorine every day or so and see if you are rising, steady or falling. If falling, then you have no choice but to run the pump longer. You should also repeat this procedure when the temps start to rise because your chlorine usage will increase.

The actual cost to run the pump can only be estimated with the calculator. Pipe size, length of run, number of elbows, etc. all can make the pump work harder or easier. If possible, turn off everything in your house (fridge, hot water heater, clocks, etc.), run the pump for 1 hour and read the meter to determine what it is actually using.

my SWG is a Pentair IC40. I looked at the easy touch panel and setting says 50% for intellichlor. Salt was just introduced to the water, 1st week fo SWG operation. The PB is still taking care of the water since I didnt get the " Pool School " class yet.

I don't actually have a pool or VS-3050 yet (just signed the contract a few days ago), so take my words with some caution.

However, the 2-hour run speed seems to use a very high RPM value. Of course, without knowing the flow rate demands maybe I'm missing the point. The Pentair manual implies that with 80 feet of head you would be producing 95 GPM flow rates - which is quite high for a salt system as well (according to my readings).

Second, I was under the impression that lengthening the time, at lower RPMs, would make for greater electricity savings than high flow rates for shorter times.

Somebody please correct my understanding where I have errors - I would hate to take bad thinking into pool ownership.

If you can tolerate lower flow rates, I would have most of the run time around 1000 RPM as that seems to be the most efficient setting for the Intelliflo. You should never need to run the pump at 3350 unless you are trying to run spa jets or a large waterfall. Even 2250 is on the high side but it may be needed for a cleaner or decent skimmer cleaning but you shouldn't need to run it more than a few hours at that rate.

These are guesses but at 1000 RPM, you will use about 1100 watt-hours per turnover (8.5 hrs) and at 2250 RPM, you will use about 2800 watt-hours per turnover (3.5 hours). So as you can see, it is much more beneficial to run at the lower RPM if you can get away with it.

If you have a small pool like we do it is more beneficial to have a one speed pump. I run our pump for 1 -2 hrs a day and have the SWG presently at 5%output. When we were swimming last year I set the SWG to 50% and still ran it 1-2hrs per day. My electric went up about $10- $15 per mth. In my case it is not a cost savings to use a VF pump because it will never pay for itself VS cost of the pump :goodjob: Just my opinion :cheers: :cheers:

found this video. I understand now.
[youtube:afsxzj1r]4dIz4R-1d2k[/youtube:afsxzj1r]

I should prob run the pump 2 hrs at 2000 rpm or so for the cleaner then set the pump to about 750rpm for the next 6 hrs.

I may need a separate program for Solar heating later.
Does anyone know the flow rate I need for Solar panels?

fkong777 said:
found this video. I understand now.
[youtube:wkk70wm0]4dIz4R-1d2k[/youtube:wkk70wm0]

I should prob run the pump 2 hrs at 2000 rpm or so for the cleaner then set the pump to about 750rpm for the next 6 hrs.

I may need a separate program for Solar heating later.
Does anyone know the flow rate I need for Solar panels?

Thanks so much fkong for posting this.

WOW..... this video is fantastic. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid :wink: Makes me feel a whole lot better about my very recent purchase of Intelliflo VF. (It's so cold and rainy/icy I'm going to have to delay installation even more.) If the Aquabot Turbo, separate drive powered rather than all water drive power, drive motor+water pump Aquabot vs one pump for jets and driving Verro, (used and on its way to replace Verro 300 (similar to Aquabot Turbo T-Jet) can make it up my steep slope when silt bag is used and beginning to clog up, I'll be saving boo-koos of $$$$, even with our somewhat good rates here, running the VF virtually 24/7, maybe less, for filtering vs my current pump running the 1.5 hp (SF 1.5), which is somewhat a 2.25 hp pump, for 12 to 24 hours per day. And eve if I have to run the main pump higher speed/flow for pressure Polaris I bet I'll be able to run it for much less cost than old pump. :-D I don't have any complicated water features until I add solar (hope, hope, hope I can swing it this year).

I'm also feeling better about the more costly VF over other pumps for when I put in solar heating. All I'll need is a simple inexpensive, actuator/timer to open valve for solar and VF will adjust the speed/flow. Come on weather...... heat up some.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might be able to lower the RPM if you adjust the bypass loop flow rate valve so that more water goes through the cell.

i dont have a bypass loop on the SWG.

BTW at 1600rpm my Sand Shark automatic cleaner is useless. and at 2250 the sand shark works very slowly and it wont climb the walls anymore.
That's what I get for having a 35feet run to the equipment pad which I located out of site from the pool.

That video is somewhat misleding.. Not too many people have a short pipe run to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.