lleaving a pool undrained

eljonesen

In The Industry
May 26, 2009
I have a friend who had drained his pool-pebble tech pool-cartridge filter-and wants to leave ut drained until March. The water table here is about 200 feet down-live in Phoenix. I told him I wasn't sure if the pebble tech could take the dryness and could possibly crack over long exposure to direct sunlight.
If anyone could help me with more information than I would truly be grateful!

Many Thanks,

Eric

I found this post while searching:

PoolOwnerNumber9 said:
If the pebble tek overheats it can delaminate from the structural concrete as it expands. If there are already delaminated sections there could be water between the pebble tek and the structural concrete. If the water overheats it will cause more stress in the delaminated "bubble" and increase the bubble. Overheating can also cause cracking or crazing in the finish. Exposure to direct sunlight should be minimized.

The pebble tek should be tested for delaminations upon draining. Tapping on the surface with the plastic end of a screwdriver should return a solid sound. A delamination will sound hollow. Delaminations should be cut out and patched if they are in excess of 36 square inches.

Even though you have a low water table a sudden strong rain could float the pool and care should be taken to ensure that that does not happen.

Sounds like leaving it empty is very risky..... :shock:

If it is truly PebbleTec (not PebbleSheen or PebbleFina) and not a knock off, they should be fine (assuming the water table is that low). Lots of pools in Arizona use a "rolled bond beam" application whereas the pool has no tile or coping and the P-Tec is exposed out to the dirt. I don't think it looks real nice (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!), but the product is strong enough to handle the exposure.

What would be the reasoning for leaving the pool empty?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.