Pool Resin

May 19, 2009
My friend from France has been talking about a see through resin which is used to coat the surface of tiling. Coating is used to protect the tiling and extends the years between fixes.

Would any of you know anything about what he is talking about? Is there a product/chemical name for that kind of coating? and where can i usually find this?

I'd be apprehensive unless I saw some reports of field testing and especially about the potential for delamination.
I use a product on my slides which would be awesome if the tiles were concrete, it's called MMA.
But, I couldn't recommend it without asking the Mfg how well it would adhere to and continue to adhere to a smooth tile.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but if you like I'll ask the Mfg's rep.

See ya,
Kelly

I'm curious. The tile around my pool water line looks brand new and it is 28 years old. Well the white grout could use some scrubbing though :oops: . Why would you need a protectant for the tile; that is if it is glazed and if it at the water line? Lots of "if" I know. :roll: When I saw the extra tiles in a box, left by the previous owners, I thought, uh-oh. Is that going to be another fix I have to do? Never have had to use a single one in 23 years.

On the other hand, I used one inch, shiny, dark, solid color, pool tiles for the floor of my downstairs bathroom, 1996; its like a burnt burgundy color with reddish brown grout (grout doesn't look dirty even when it is). Bathroom is heavily used and we have immense amounts of sand and grit here, inside and out. I've been observing, over past few years, some scratching when I look at it just at the right angle. I'm afraid to use anything for fear of it wearing unevenly and looking bad or just not looking better. I'm the only one who has ever noticed it. I can't imagine pool tile, if it is on the water line getting nearly the rough treatment my bathroom floor gets.

gg=alice

My apologies, this is for the tiles that sit under water. Year on year im combating loose tiles and having to recement the grouting, so advise was to coat which should last a good 3 - 5 yrs.

I'm not even close to being a tile expert, by any means, but I have dealt with tiling and repairs in some old houses in bathrooms, kitchens, walls and floors, and other wet areas. But how would a surface protectant keep the tiles from popping off or breaking. Is this a "resin" that is used under the tiles? I'm not trying to cause problems, I just don't understand. One of my good friends and her daughter call me "The Consumer Queen". So I'm always on the look-out for things to help improve or make care easier. So I'm curious. :)

gg=alice

Is this used like a thick layer, acrylic or such, over tile, concrete, wood, etc., like those tables and counters you see in restaurants and bars and even floors? I've seen some close to 1/4" thick, or more, that makes a solid adhered surface and looks more or less like a glass top on a surface except bonded and impregnating into the surface it is on, somewhat. I can see that helping if it could hold up and stay bonded under swimming pool conditions. Heck, I've used plenty of satin polyurethane over wall paper in damp areas but another question arises.... wouldn't the layer to be protected need some kind of roughing for the "resin" to adhere properly? BTW... I've seen some old pools and fountains, some virtually or approaching, being antiques, that still have their original tiles. Has the quality of products deteriorated over the "eons"? I do know that when I and a crew were trying to break up some concrete steps, poured during the depression era, using heavy sledge hammers, we couldn't do it. One guy was 6'7" and very strong; the rest pretty hardy guys. I had to go to headquarters to get jack hammers. (To be honest, foreman let me slack off on this one. I was the only, and first woman on the crew, back in early 70's, working for the Parks and Recreation Dept of city, while attending university. Great and fun job; learned a lot and got to operate a lot of equipment that I never would have gotten close to otherwise.) :blah: :blah:

gg=alice

I would have to presume its some thick layer of "whatever" which gives it a glass top on a surfac type of feeling. Honestly i dont know what it looks like, all that i know from my friends account is that it helps with protecting the tiles and that its see through.

I guess what my friend means by protection is to prevent the water, chemicals from eating away the cement and the adhesives applied to the tiling.

He said that the practice was quite common in France. Im puzzled.

aho.lwi said:
I would have to presume its some thick layer of "whatever" which gives it a glass top on a surfac type of feeling. Honestly i dont know what it looks like, all that i know from my friends account is that it helps with protecting the tiles and that its see through.

I guess what my friend means by protection is to prevent the water, chemicals from eating away the cement and the adhesives applied to the tiling.

He said that the practice was quite common in France. Im puzzled.

Thanks for clarifying that. :) Can you get him to find out more? I'll bet there are a few people here who are very curious too.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.