Changing out manual timers on pump and booster pump

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
Right now on my pump I have manual timers, but both of them are broken. One for the booster and one for the pump. Right now with this cold weather if the pump does not get turned on for a day I do not see as much of an issue as when it is hot. So for now I turn it on when I leave for work and turn it off when I get home or before I go to sleep. There have been a few days to where I would forget and do not want it to happen during the summer.

Now I want to switch out the manual ones for working manual ones, but I think I would prefer digital ones. It seems to be just switching out some wires, but wonder how hard it really is. I have installed home thermostats and it seems it will be the same. Just basically unhook and rehook to the new ones and put them in.

If you need pictures I can post these later on tonight. Basically it is a metal box with two timers that are yellow and has two attachments that are for end and start time.

Also is it ok to run the pump once we start swimming? I know not to have the cleaner on the booster pump running, but what about the pump? I assume it is ok to do that.

All feedback is appreciated.

laurandavid09 said:
I want to switch out the manual [timers for] digital ones. It seems to be just switching out some wires, but wonder how hard it really is. I have installed home thermostats and it seems it will be the same. Just basically unhook and rehook to the new ones and put them in. If you need pictures I can post these later on tonight. Basically it is a metal box with two timers that are yellow and has two attachments that are for end and start time.

I defer to those experienced with electrical to address your timer connections.

Also is it ok to run the pump once we start swimming? I know not to have the cleaner on the booster pump running, but what about the pump? I assume it is ok to do that.

Yup, it's OK to swim with the pump running. And preferable.

Changing out timers is usually an easy task. Just be sure the power is off and swap the wires function for function. (i.e. hot to hot, neu to neu, N.O. to N.O. etc.) Go ahead and post pics of the ones you have now and we can recommend replacements. If you've already decided on replacements post them too.

We run our pump anytime we're in he pool. I even have an aerator that hooks to the return. The kids like it when I hook it up and create a fountain.

Bama Rambler said:
Changing out timers is usually an easy task. Just be sure the power is off and swap the wires function for function. (i.e. hot to hot, neu to neu, N.O. to N.O. etc.) Go ahead and post pics of the ones you have now and we can recommend replacements. If you've already decided on replacements post them too.

We run our pump anytime we're in he pool. I even have an aerator that hooks to the return. The kids like it when I hook it up and create a fountain.

I will post some when I get home. I have not decided on any replacement ones yet, but I think digital is the way to go.

Yup, it's OK to swim with the pump running. And preferable.

If your pool has two main drains, or an anti entrapment system, then yes it is OK to swim with the pump ON. If not, then I would say NO, it is NOT OK to swim while the filter system is operating, due to the danger of someone (small persons, especially) being caught by the drain suction and drowning, or even being disemboweled.

As to the timers, it sounds as if they are well within your ability, and if you encounter any problems, you can usually get help here! I would look getting a model that you can program easily, either two single outputs, or one multi-output. If you have Intermatic timers now, and the boxes are still in good shape, you can get just the electronic "guts" (P710xME) to replace the single clock motor timers with an easy to use one.
http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/products/electronic time switches and mechanisms.aspx
The Leslies' Pool Store here stock these right next to the replacement clock motors, and some of the Lowes and Home Depots might have them, too, only they call them water heater timers.
Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

This is what I have now except I have two of these in one box. I will post actual pictures of mine when I get home.

t104p201_timer.jpg

pool-pump-timer-with-fireman-switch.jpg

The best thing about changing those timers will be an opportunity to neat up that wiring. :)

Changing those shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd pick up a book of wire labels and label all those wires before I removed them. Also, label the old timer locations, so in case you have any questions you can easily look and see which function on the old ones the wires came from.

Bama Rambler said:
The best thing about changing those timers will be an opportunity to neat up that wiring. :)

Changing those shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd pick up a book of wire labels and label all those wires before I removed them. Also, label the old timer locations, so in case you have any questions you can easily look and see which function on the old ones the wires came from.

Do you know how those are in the box? I was looking and could not figure it out. I saw one screw, but not sure if that is all that is holding it on.

Also can anyone suggest timers that would be easy to replace mine with? Also will I be able to use the same box, I assume I will as long as they fit.

Thanks.

New2Me said:
If your pool has two main drains, or an anti entrapment system, then yes it is OK to swim with the pump ON. If not, then I would say NO, it is NOT OK to swim while the filter system is operating, due to the danger of someone (small persons, especially) being caught by the drain suction and drowning, or even being disemboweled.

One option would be to partially or totally close off the main drain, if it is old style. I have old style but I don't think there is enough suction to trap me but possibly a little one.

True story.... when my husband was a kid, one of his friends was sucked into a main drain at the big public swimming pool; his whole body. The drain cover was off for some reason as they were doing work on the system. I think he and some friends (DH wasn't with them) sneaked in at night when the pool was closed. If he hadn't drowned the crushing injuries would have killed him. Scary. I think they found his crushed body at the pumping station end.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yikes :shock: has there been a plastic cover over those exposed contacts? It's scary enough when they are covered with a flimsy piece of plastic. I, personally would never try to operate that timer (just like the one I have) without something between my hand and the contacts, especially when I'm in a hurry. I hate getting shocked.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
Yikes :shock: has there been a plastic cover over those exposed contacts? It's scary enough when they are covered with a flimsy piece of plastic. I, personally would never try to operate that timer (just like the one I have) without something between my hand and the contacts, especially when I'm in a hurry. I hate getting shocked.

gg=alice

No just the metal door is all. I keep the metal door closed at all times. Yes I have been shocked before and it is not a fun feeling.

My post above is for a direct replacement electronic timer to use in your box (I think this is your box - only newer and with cover/shield - http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/products/mechanical controls/pool and spa control centers.aspx. With the power off, you can easily remove the timer assembly by removing the screw, pushing the black tab (on the left side left, right side right) and sliding it down. The only thing holding it in is the locking tab or single screw and the upper slide ins. Wire it back up just as it was, and see if you can find the safety shields to cover the exposed wiring!

New2Me said:
My post above is for a direct replacement electronic timer to use in your box (I think this is your box - only newer and with cover/shield - http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/products/mechanical controls/pool and spa control centers.aspx. With the power off, you can easily remove the timer assembly by removing the screw, pushing the black tab (on the left side left, right side right) and sliding it down. The only thing holding it in is the locking tab or single screw and the upper slide ins. Wire it back up just as it was, and see if you can find the safety shields to cover the exposed wiring!

Also, put new weather stripping on the door to keep the moisture out. Stripping breaks down over time. Looks like yours is totally gone and probably added to the rusting inside the box. This, also would be a good time to get rid of the rusting, by a little hand sanding, some rust preventive undercoat, and a new top coat, prior to installing the new timer system. Spending a few minutes more you could freshen up the outside too, or change it's color if you want it to blend in better.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
New2Me said:

Also, put new weather stripping on the door to keep the moisture out. Stripping breaks down over time. Looks like yours is totally gone and probably added to the rusting inside the box. This, also would be a good time to get rid of the rusting, by a little hand sanding, some rust preventive undercoat, and a new top coat, prior to installing the new timer system. Spending a few minutes more you could freshen up the outside too, or change it's color if you want it to blend in better.

gg=alice

I assume that you mean on the inside of the doors for the stripping?

I have the exact same box and timers. I freshened mine up by lightly sanding and spraying with the Rust Oleum Industrial Gray Epoxy they sell at Home Depot in the cans slightly taller than a normal spray paint can. It looks like new again.

Also, if you don't want to replace the entire switch assembly when those mechanical timer go bad it's normally just the little motor in each one. They're cheap, readily available at most pool stores in town (Warehouse, Leslies), and easy to replace.

Aquaman95 said:
I have the exact same box and timers. I freshened mine up by lightly sanding and spraying with the Rust Oleum Industrial Gray Epoxy they sell at Home Depot in the cans slightly taller than a normal spray paint can. It looks like new again.

Also, if you don't want to replace the entire switch assembly when those mechanical timer go bad it's normally just the little motor in each one. They're cheap, readily available at most pool stores in town (Warehouse, Leslies), and easy to replace.

Do you have a link or any instructions on to swap them out?

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.