Polaris PB-4 Booster pump.

Jan 23, 2010
My booster pump stopped working suddenly. Its a Polaris PB-4. about 3 yrs old.

I noticed that the pump makes a humming sound when started but does not turn. I opened the pump's volute casing and tried turning the pump by hand, the pump turns with a slight resistance in certain positions. I ran the pump with the volute casing off and the pump ran well under electrical power.

I boxed the volute casing back and tried running the pump but the pump will not run, still makes a humming sound.

Please advise. Thanks.

If you can turn the pump with the front casing in place I'd start by replacing the capacitor. They're cheap and easy to replace. If you can't turn the pump with the front casing in place you probably have a bearing issue.

ameetdivekar said:
My booster pump stopped working suddenly. Its a Polaris PB-4. about 3 yrs old.
tried turning the pump by hand, the pump turns with a slight resistance in certain positions.

Those are bad bearings. Either have the bearings replaced, or buy a new motor. I suggest a new motor. Otherwise you have brand new bearings in an old motor.

The problem with my pump is solved. Here is what had happened.

Due to exposure to the atmosphere, there was a lot of calcification on the face of the motor, the space between the pump housing(bracket) and the motor. This had caused the bracket to twist and becomes raised on one side, touching the impeller.

I had to clear the calcification and change the warped bracket. I also changed the pump seal. The booster is working fine now.

Thanks to everybody for providing feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.