Sealing Arizona Flagstone

I use the Porous Plus 511 impregnator on mine. AZ flagstone is very soft (it is a sandstone) and you will not find anything that will work 100% to achieve no flaking. I like the 511 over a topical as it soaks in and provides additional protection, and does not sit on the top of the stone. I do mine every 6 months or so, and it keeps flaking to a minimum.

If you have a SWCG, chances are you will be seeing more flaking that without one as well, since you are now introducing salt into the stone. Seems to accelerate the "damage" to stone and other soft coping material.

Thanks Bruce. I haven’t noticed much flaking, but I have copper color sand forming in the pool – especially after a heavy rain. Have you seen this issue, and does the 511 Porous Plus help cut down on what I would guess is water eroding the flagstone into sand?

Yup, you are seeing the erosion of the flagstone :goodjob:

From my experience, the 511 will slow that, but it will not stop it. Flagstone is just too soft and erodes relatively quickly. I have it on my pool, and I would do it again, but I understand its shortcomings and am willing to deal with it! I probably re-coat with the 511 a couple times a year. It doesn't take a lot of material, and it isn't difficult, so I figure it is worth my time. I don't really have a coping material that I would rather have on this pool, so I make the best of it!

Thanks. I agree with you – we love the look of the stone and would use it again as well. I’ll wait for a stretch of sunny weather and try this product out. It’s interesting – people seem to blame the salt water for this, but my erosion is as bad or worse in the winter when there’s been zero salt water splash on the stone for months. In the summer we pretty much just get the sand around the two stone fountains we have in the reef end of the pool.

I would love to switch to a SWG, but haven't done so due to stone paranoia (my entire pool deck is a mix-match of local stone, much of it bluestone).

I have seen that 511 at Home Depot. How much will a gallon cover?

111kv7r.jpg

Backglass said:
I would love to switch to a SWG, but haven't done so due to stone paranoia (my entire pool deck is a mix-match of local stone, much of it bluestone).

I have seen that 511 at Home Depot. How much will a gallon cover?

111kv7r.jpg

Should say on the container (or the website). Different material will require more or less though, depending on density.

GregH - I hope you are still out there...

I stumbled across your post re: AZ flagstone searching for the effects of salt water? Small world - I too live in Austin (Cedar Park) and even have the same spa - the LS6800!!!

I have a fiberglass, salt water pool with a concrete deck. I am looking at building an AZ Flagstone patio adjacent to the pool, but am concerned about how it will hold up to the salt water splash and drips from wet bodies.

It has been a while since your post - do you have any comments / learnings you wish to share from your experience? Which sealer did you end up using? Does it work? How long between recoats? Anything info you might want to share is appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.