Picking out a SWG

Jan 22, 2010
I had an Intex SWG last year that I had to return because it broke. I have very hard well water and was having to clean the cell every 3 days. I would like to buy a better SWG this year, and one that has a reverse polarity so that it can clean itself. My pool is an above ground 27', so appox. 18k gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

traemac said:
I had an Intex SWG last year that I had to return because it broke. I have very hard well water and was having to clean the cell every 3 days. I would like to buy a better SWG this year, and one that has a reverse polarity so that it can clean itself. My pool is an above ground 27', so appox. 18k gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum :)

Hard well water? Guess that would mean excessive levels of calcium, magnesium (iron?)... Could you provide some information on what type of pool and equipment you have (above ground or inground, 2" PVC pipes? nbr of gallons? Vinyl, fiberglass, concrete?) Also, what type of controller you have, if any? (Hayward, Pentair, timer etc.)

EDIT Sorry -- obviously didn't read OP carefully -- I see that you indicated pool and gallonage! END-EDIT

It would be great if you had an analysis of your well water so we'd know exactly what we're dealing with. The issue is that we don't want to recommend a SWG and because of you water makeup you still have to clean the cell just as often as you're having to do with the current unit. Most time your county extension office will have an analysis run on well water. I know around here they will.

According to http://www.globalw.com/support/hardness.html ,
0.058 grains = 1 ppm calcium hardness. Therefore 70 grains = 1207 ppm
That is very high in calcium hardness. You would need to maintain a very low pH and Total Alkalinity to maintain balanced water.
Regarding a salt chlorine generator system that would not scale up quickly...you're still going to have to keep an eye on your cell, REGARDLESS of what you do.

Having said that, if you can inject an acid solution prior to the cell, that increased dosing of low pH will help keep the cell clean of scale.
The Pool Pilot Total Control does exactly that with the added benefit of automation over your pH and ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential = level of active oxidizer measured in Millivolts). The Total Control is a much different system than the Intex, and the price reflects that too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.