Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Picking out a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Picking out a SWG

I had an Intex SWG last year that I had to return because it broke. I have very hard well water and was having to clean the cell every 3 days. I would like to buy a better SWG this year, and one that has a reverse polarity so that it can clean itself. My pool is an above ground 27', so appox. 18k gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    25x50 Inground Vinyl, approximately 48-50000 gals. 2 Skimmers, 5 Return Jets, auto fill, Polaris 390

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Picking out a SWG

Quote Originally Posted by traemac
    I had an Intex SWG last year that I had to return because it broke. I have very hard well water and was having to clean the cell every 3 days. I would like to buy a better SWG this year, and one that has a reverse polarity so that it can clean itself. My pool is an above ground 27', so appox. 18k gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum

Hard well water? Guess that would mean excessive levels of calcium, magnesium (iron?)... Could you provide some information on what type of pool and equipment you have (above ground or inground, 2" PVC pipes? nbr of gallons? Vinyl, fiberglass, concrete?) Also, what type of controller you have, if any? (Hayward, Pentair, timer etc.)

EDIT Sorry -- obviously didn't read OP carefully -- I see that you indicated pool and gallonage! END-EDIT
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

It would be great if you had an analysis of your well water so we'd know exactly what we're dealing with. The issue is that we don't want to recommend a SWG and because of you water makeup you still have to clean the cell just as often as you're having to do with the current unit. Most time your county extension office will have an analysis run on well water. I know around here they will.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

i have had culligan out before and they tested it at 70 grains of hardness
    25x50 Inground Vinyl, approximately 48-50000 gals. 2 Skimmers, 5 Return Jets, auto fill, Polaris 390

5. Back To Top    #5

According to http://www.globalw.com/support/hardness.html ,
    0.058 grains = 1 ppm calcium hardness. Therefore 70 grains = 1207 ppm
    That is very high in calcium hardness. You would need to maintain a very low pH and Total Alkalinity to maintain balanced water.
    Regarding a salt chlorine generator system that would not scale up quickly...you're still going to have to keep an eye on your cell, REGARDLESS of what you do.

Having said that, if you can inject an acid solution prior to the cell, that increased dosing of low pH will help keep the cell clean of scale.
    The Pool Pilot Total Control does exactly that with the added benefit of automation over your pH and ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential = level of active oxidizer measured in Millivolts). The Total Control is a much different system than the Intex, and the price reflects that too.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com