Can someone provide me with ideas to hide this pool pad?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I would like to build some sort of fenced structure around this but am concerned because there are so many buried pvc lines in the area, that i don't want to dig fence post holes? Could i build something and anchor to the concrete that would be sturdy enough? Anybody have better ideas? I plan to re landscape that entire area, it's just what was here when we moved in.

img0089yo.jpg

You could build a 3 sided box that sits on the pad. You wouldn't nessessarily have to anchor it down, and you could pull it out of the way if you needed to get to the equipment. You could also hide it with a planter box and the foliage of your choice.

Thinkly said:
I would like to build some sort of fenced structure around this but am concerned because there are so many buried pvc lines in the area, that i don't want to dig fence post holes? Could i build something and anchor to the concrete that would be sturdy enough? Anybody have better ideas? I plan to re landscape that entire area, it's just what was here when we moved in.
Interesting problem... in addition to the good ideas already mentioned, you may want to give the "fenced structure" a larger perimeter than the equipment pad so that you can allow for an access (e.g., swing-out gate) to allow for normal maintenance and winterizing; perhaps only 1 side needs to be outside the pad. You could attach this structure/screen on the house siding to provide stablility -- and use concrete anchor bolts and braces on one or two corners for even more permanence. I'm hardly an expert at this kind of thing, but with enough points of support on the concrete pad and house - and any 4x4 beams that are outside the perimeter of the pad resting on the ground (on rocks or something) -- the screen should withstand pretty strong wind and not pose a danger to the buried pipes.

While I'm throwing out my last shred of credibility, I may as well also suggest: measuring your filter when in place to determine how high to build it (assuming you want to hide the filter from sight), and establishing a desirable sight-line from inside the house looking out the window. If you plant anything on the side adjacent to the electric service meter, you'll want to be sure it doesn't grow very high or you'll be forever giving it a haircut. Please post pictures of whatever you decide to do.... I'm hoping to do something similar this year.

polyvue (and the OP of course):

You should check into this concerning local codes and insurance issues. For example I built a 10X14 shed with vinyl siding and a metal roof, but up on blocks and it's a temporary structure. Put it on a pad and I need a permit. Attach it to the house, and plans have to be submitted, etc.

Not trying to say it isn't a good idea, but just check out the other than practical considerations.

BTW, I too am faced with this issue, and even further, Florida is (I think) considering mandating enclosed pool equipment areas (that might be only for commercial sites). At any rate, Pentair manuals (and I presume others) urge sun protection (an excerpt from the VS-3050 Owner's Manual):

Protect from heat:
• Shade the motor and controller from the sun.
• Any enclosure must be well ventilated to prevent overheating. Particular attention should be paid to the
motor fan cover and the cooling fins between the drive and the motor.

lee32903 said:
You should check into this concerning local codes and insurance issues. For example I built a 10X14 shed with vinyl siding and a metal roof, but up on blocks and it's a temporary structure. Put it on a pad and I need a permit. Attach it to the house, and plans have to be submitted, etc.

Florida is (I think) considering mandating enclosed pool equipment areas (that might be only for commercial sites). At any rate, Pentair manuals (and I presume others) urge sun protection (an excerpt from the VS-3050 Owner's Manual):

Protect from heat:
• Shade the motor and controller from the sun.
• Any enclosure must be well ventilated to prevent overheating. Particular attention should be paid to the
motor fan cover and the cooling fins between the drive and the motor.
Excellent points, all. When you attach something, it becomes part of the structure. I also forgot to mention roofing... thanks for your input.

Tossing in that... when I think of Kansas, I think of wind. Toto, Dorothy, etc...

So in case you wish to get support columns in the earth....

I'm working through the surgical process of digging around my newly installed equipment for sprinkler re-routing.

When I think that I'm near pipe, I run the hose a little to soften the ground to be able to push in the shovel realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly slowly (yes, the 40 l's actually does make it slower).

Strangely enough, you can feel very small resistances in the wet earth. But if this freaks you out -- then I completely understand, because it freaks me out too... I just don't have any other choice :)

The other thing I do is to dig mostly horizontally, so if I do "find" a pipe, I skim off the top of it versus chomping through it.

Good luck -- I am sure my novice techniques aren't top shelf, but so far -- they have worked well.

Personally I like to see an exposed equipment pad :party: Why would anyone want to hide such beauty :cheers:

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN8925.JPG
    Copy of DSCN8925.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 361
Bama Rambler said:
If you're just looking to fence it, I'd go with vinyl basket weave panels and anchor them to the concrete pad. You should be able to get panels at the local big box stores.

Can one of you, most excellent moderators :bowdown: , reformat the original post, so that it doesn't require so much scrolling? :sunny: I'm sure many would appreciate that. It's even worse when I'm using my Netbook. Thanks.

I got a bunch of those cedar panels from Lowe's a couple of years ago and they are fabulous and very easy to work with. They are about 4 ft tall and pretty light weight. Helps to put Thompson's on them too.

I have found they they are snapped up pretty fast and not restocked, or restocked much, at my local Lowe's. If you decide to use them start looking right now and get more than you think you will need. I use them for all types of applications. We have high winds too, so good support/stabilization is a must.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brentr said:
Personally I like to see an exposed equipment pad :party: Why would anyone want to hide such beauty :cheers:
Absolutely. Now, you're going to have to move your pool a little closer to the pad to get a better view... install some spectator seating around those lovely fittings (I like to claim the "pump seat" when I attend pool parties) and attach any unsold incandescent lights as overhead floods... A few decorations, a bit of tinsel, you'll have yourself a real gathering spot for guests.

Nope. Not a bit of ribbing in the above, 'bein t-o-t-a-l-l-y straight. Yup. heh heh. :p

polyvue said:
Brentr said:
Absolutely. Now, you're going to have to move your pool a little closer to the pad to get a better view... install some spectator seating around those lovely fittings (I like to claim the "pump seat" when I attend pool parties) and attach any unsold incandescent lights as overhead floods... A few decorations, a bit of tinsel, you'll have yourself a real gathering spot for guests.

Nope. Not a bit of ribbing in the above, 'bein t-o-t-a-l-l-y straight. Yup. heh heh. :p
Sorry you feel that way polyvue but you hit the nail on the head :-D Why do you think I put 500 sq ft of pavers out there next to the pad :shock: It certainly was not to look at the moon :goodjob: And I am being totally straight with you :cheers: To me one of the best part of pools are the equipment that are attached to them :whoot: You actually read my mind as I have been looking for a bench to sit on so that I can enjoy looking at the pool equipment pad while enjoying cocktails :cheers: :cheers:

I reformatted pics. Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming. I need to maintain some daily access during swimming season, so I think a gate is a must, or leaving part of it exposed. I mainly need to screen it from the angle seen here, and the pool area which is directly to the right of this pic.

Brentr said:
You actually read my mind as I have been looking for a bench to sit on so that I can enjoy looking at the pool equipment pad while enjoying cocktails
:lol: :lol:

Thinkly said:
I reformatted pics. Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming. I need to maintain some daily access during swimming season, so I think a gate is a must, or leaving part of it exposed. I mainly need to screen it from the angle seen here, and the pool area which is directly to the right of this pic.
¡Mucho mejor! Could you see yourself removing the willow-like plant currently located between the pad and the redwood fence? By building around the pad and leaving it open toward the fence you might be able to save yourself the cost of building a gate... that would also leave open access for electric meter reader. Downside? Stability. Possible solution: brace it along the top with a beam that goes from house to corner post and just leave it open below ("forget" to install the gate.)

Not sure if this helps but I made a small housing just for the Motor to shield it from the rain and sun. Then to help hide the filter, we planted some small bushes around the pad witch really does a great job of shileding everything from the sun.

I too would rather not enclose anything. I feel that the enclosure would bring more attention to that area then just leaving it bare and putting some bushes around it to make it look more natural.

I did enclose a couple of pics of our pad to give you all some idea of what I am talking about. It also helps some with the noise, however, I did replace much of the pool pad equipment this past year in 09 with a new pump, valves, new guts to the sand filter and new sand so this year it should be good. I thought I had a better wider pic but this one was taken in the spring before the leaves grew in. I will have to take another one this summer to show everyone more about what I am talking about.

Hope this offers some ideas to others.

At pet stores, you can buy a screw-into-the-ground anchor that's used for dog ropes/chains.........about 12-14 long.

A couple of those screwed into the ground involve no digging and you could "feel" any pipe you might hit. For a small fence or enclosure, that would be a quick, easy way to provide support. Done well, they would likely provide enough sturdiness to attach a gate.

duraleigh said:
At pet stores, you can buy a screw-into-the-ground anchor that's used for dog ropes/chains.........about 12-14 long.

Thank you for that idea. I think I will use one or two as ground attachment points for a shade/sail cloth thing. Even if it started to pull out (like after a rain), one could simply give it a couple more turns, and voila. Thanks again.

For an easy to install, easy to move green eye-sore shield, you can get some plastic window planter boxes to make a perimeter wall. Fill them with fast growing tall grasses, or mini shrubs, pretty up the bottoms with mulch to hide the box, you can put creeping ground covers in to grow over the outside edges too. You'll end up with what looks like grass growing on a small berm. Stick some really tall potted plants in the middle of the equipment, and it'll look like they're the reason for it, not the pool equipment.

New2Me said:
For an easy to install, easy to move green eye-sore shield, you can get some plastic window planter boxes to make a perimeter wall. Fill them with fast growing tall grasses, or mini shrubs, pretty up the bottoms with mulch to hide the box, you can put creeping ground covers in to grow over the outside edges too. You'll end up with what looks like grass growing on a small berm. Stick some really tall potted plants in the middle of the equipment, and it'll look like they're the reason for it, not the pool equipment.

Great idea. :goodjob: For summer some tropical Hibiscus, pretty cheap at HD/Lowe's, and they'd be awfully pretty, as long as they get enough sun. Or shoot, many flowering plants. I'd put in a cheap drip system too, if you don't want to spend the time watering.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.