Purex Triton Ultra Flow pump screamed and cut off

Pr0tect0r

In The Industry
Jan 20, 2010
During the recent freeze(20's) a customer's purex triton ultra flow pump started screaming and would cut itself off while the pool switched pool/spa modes. This pump acts as the spa booster pump, as when it is on, so are the bubbles in the spa! After the second cut off and restart, my customer killed the power to the entire system. He didn't see smoke although he said the motor was very hot. Because of the freezing weather, to get the other water circulating, i walked him through disonnecting the power supply and ground wires so we can turn the rest of the system on. Because i am not very experienced with servicing a wide variety of equipment, I am curious if this typical pump/motor failure and what signs can i look for to determine why it failed?

I was told that the pump was screaming, similar to what I've read bad bearings sound like. I want to try and determine the options as far as likelyhood of a dry run warping the impeller, or possible motor bearing failure. Is there a troubleshooting manual or owner's manual I can download? I get pump'motor mechanics in general, so a trouble-shoot, first this, then this is ideal for my situation!

Before I tear it apart to see if it is just the wet end and replace what is damaged, i want to make sure that I wont still have to replace the motor as well, which may end up costing the customer more than the installation of a new pump. I know this is opposite modern business profit strategies and mean to my back pocket but these are good people, so any help is greatly appreciated!
:goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.