Blisters on interior shell

Dee

Nov 4, 2007
Chattanooga TN
Hello. My Caldera hot tub is just over a year old and has developed two small blisters on the interior shell surface. It was installed correctly and the water chemistry has been maintained with Caldera's chemicals. I've looked online and found where someone said it's a company defect where the acrylic is delaminating and that you could use a hair dryer on the high setting until the blister becomes pliable and then pin prick it and use hand pressure to release the air behind it. Has anyone else had this problem? If I just leave it alone will it get worse -- crack -- develope a leak? Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give me.

I think you are supposed to drill a small hole in the blister and then heat it up. Never done it so maybe someone with real experience might help. I have heard its like a cyst and you drain out some stinky stuff before reattaching. ???

Do you know what model it is? All Caldera tubs except the Aventine / San Gabriel models have >1 yr warranties on their surfaces. There's no great solution. Messing with these things tends to make the problem worse. The acrylic layer is very very very thin and delicate, and putting a hole in it invites water behind it which can make the blister end up larger than it was to begin with. If it's still covered hound them like heck until they replace it for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.