2 questions

Sep 25, 2009
1. We purchased several plastic equipment hangers from Lowes yesterday. They are blue plastic. Has anyone used them and are they worth using or is there a better option.
2. Long story short... having problems with bored neighborhood kids wanting to try and vandalize my pool. Which is now winterized after a little ice issue.... my property is fenced and there is a second fence around the pool...but these knucklehead kids like to jump fences and run through people's yards. We got word from a neighbor that the kids were planning on messing with our pool and equipment. No sooner than we found out...we found them running through my next door neighbors yard towards ours. Both my property and my neighbor's are posted no trespassing and we both have dogs but this doesn't phase them. The police haven't been any help. Anyone have a suggestion?

Attachments

• aqua ez hanger.jpg
    aqua ez hanger.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 576
we are not sure who the kids are or really know what the plans are. I can tell you in the last year...my neighbor had two windows busted out and I've had a fence broken off the post by the same group. The police knows who they are but says they are kids and the parents will handle it. They will not tellus who they are b/c they are juveniles so there is no way for us to contact the parents... we did go talk to the parents when our fence was damaged and so did the police but nothing ever came from it.

The sad thing is ...we'd be happy to have people over this summer if they took the time to come over and talk to us and ask... I think its more of just something for them to do...

We were planning on using the hooks to keep the auto vacuum hose and the leaf rake pole off the ground.

Had the same issue, but their form of entertainment was ringing doorbells anywhere from midnight-4 AM. I have 2 kids under 5, and they are not fans of this, especially when the dogs are raising cain when the bell rings.

It's obviously hard to pinpoint when they'll show up, in your case. In my case, they would do this on days school was cancelled.....Memorial Day, July 4, etc. Easier for me to figure it out.

Just sit on the front/back porch with a BB gun, with plastic pellets in it. They won't come back. I never fired, but the sight of a large rifle got their attention.

And to be completely honest and very frank about the issue, joking or not, there WILL be someone one of these days that will not hesitate to fire a gun. They will end up messing with the wrong guy in your neighborhood. Your police dept. knows this, so it probably needs to be elevated, due to the amount of property damage you've experienced.

Their parents will take care of it? Really? Something should be said about parents who let their kids out to roam freely through the neighborhood at odd times.

I keep my vacuum hose in a plastic storage container so it's not exposed to the sun when not in use. I break all the sections apart and lay it in there flat. I think the hooks are a good idea for the pole but I'm not sure where or how to attach the hooks. Mine just lays on the ground. Thanks for the idea!

In regards to the kids coming onto your property, I would insist on filing a police report. Ask for the watch commander or patrol supervisor. They can file an information report. If one of those kids gets hurt after they climb your fence, you could still be liable. Think about the guy who fell through the skylight while trespassing. He got hurt, sued, and won. Crazy, but you need to protect yourself from the liability by having a police report stating your concerns. Also, ask for an extra patrol for your house. If people are jumping over fences, someone is going to shoot them sooner or later. You need to ease your conscience and your liability by reporting and documenting that you have reported this behavior to the police. Deal directly with the police, not the parents or the kids. This is a job for the police. If you talk to the kids or their parents they could just escalate the behavior.

After that, I would put up an electric fence. Very inexpensive to do. Also, motion detector lighting. Are the dogs outside? What do the dogs do when someone jumps your fence? I would also practice skeet shooting at various odd times of the day...

GrantsPool said:
1. We purchased several plastic equipment hangers from Lowes yesterday. They are blue plastic. Has anyone used them and are they worth using or is there a better option.

I have the exact same hangers... fastened tightly to the wall they are superb for holding varying diameters of extension poles and other equipment. Mine supports a leaf net pole and brush pole, and several vacuum bags that I rotate (1 filled, drying; 2 emptied and ready to go.)

2. Long story short... having problems with bored neighborhood kids wanting to try and vandalize my pool. Which is now winterized after a little ice issue.... my property is fenced and there is a second fence around the pool...but these knucklehead kids like to jump fences and run through people's yards. We got word from a neighbor that the kids were planning on messing with our pool and equipment. No sooner than we found out...we found them running through my next door neighbors yard towards ours. Both my property and my neighbor's are posted no trespassing and we both have dogs but this doesn't phase them. The police haven't been any help. Anyone have a suggestion?

Kid problems? Our neighbors just heavily medicate them. Sitting dazed and stupified in front of the television or video games... they're no problem at all. :twisted:

During my delinquent youth (age 11, 12...) we spent our summers "pool hopping"... sometimes at 2 in the morning-- but we normally waited until our patrons were on vacation and didn't damage any equipment. :roll:

And if any of those kids get seriously injured on your property or drowns in your pool, despite fencing being to code (it is isn't it?), and even with warning signs, especially uninvited/trespassing juveniles, you will most likely be facing a lawsuit.

Umbrella insurance is very, very cheap and covers above what your home or auto insurance personal injury provision covers up to 1 million and above. I think ours is less than $300 a year for $500 K (where our home/auto insurance per person/per incidence tops out) to $1 million. It really hasn't gone up in almost 26 years that we've had it. Usually, you have options for payment. We used to pay one payment, once a year, but now have it tacked on to our monthly house insurance payment. We picked it up when daughter started driving. Having a Dr. before your name can be a magnet for personal injury lawsuits because, of course, all doctors are fabulously wealthy.... NOT.

Even trespassing, burglars, have been know to bring personal injury suits from injuries sustained while "pulling off" or attempting a "job". Frivolous lawsuits are a dime a dozen and, in the USA, you are responsible for your legal expenses, I think most of the time, even when the suit is thrown out. And you can't count on a frivolous suit being thrown out quickly or even at all.

I, by no means, claim much of any legal expertise. DH has only been sued once, professionally; frivolous. He was included in a frivolous medical suit that involved, as defendants, several clinics, at least one hospital, a whole bunch of doctors, nurses, councilors, other staff, some professional organizations, etc. There were many, many defence lawyers involved, virtually all provided by malpractice insurance carriers, and it took over a year before the case made it to court and then immediately thrown out. Lawyers made out great. Insurance providers were out bookoos of money. And even though we all knew it was frivolous, it still produced a lot of stress.

We've had GIANT and large dogs for decades. Although they are/were not vicious, most were somewhat protective. Remember, any dog can bite and most can be pushed far enough to bite whether out of fear or protection. At our last residence, in another town, but same county, we had to be very careful about "dog" warning signs, posted on our property, i.e., some words implied vicious dog or biting dog so that even if a malefactor (bad person), approached me/us on our property and had been warned, sign or verbal warning, that the dog could bite or injure, my home insurance would not cover personal injury to that person or cover us against lawsuit. I know, I know..... weird rule.

If a malefactor approached me, in my driveway, for instance, and I had one of my well trained dogs (whether protection trained or not, and with no prior bites) on lead, sitting quietly beside me, and I said, "Don't approach any closer (or please leave) as my dog might take this as a threat and might hurt you..." Or I had any signs implying what I said, I would be out of luck as far as my homeowners insurance covering any injuries to that person or lawsuits by that person.

On the other hand, if any warnings (sign or verbal) did not imply a possible injury from dog(s) my homeowner insurance would cover injuries to any person no mater their intent.

Crazy, crazy world. :grrrr:

I started really researching this when we had some personal threats. We put 6 ft heavy chain link around a tiny side yard and a few feet in front of the house that was not previously fenced (just enough room for a team of serious attack Rotties, on loan from a friend, fellow member of one of the Schutzhund groups I trained with). The front fencing was not allowed by city coding, no matter how close to house or well disguised by plantings (fire/emergency coding I guess). I battled, and battled the city, even asking for special circumstances considerations. Really stupid as all the house sat back at least 25 yards from street, larger than most of the back yards that were allowed to be fenced. City would not budge. We moved.

Bottom line. Become very informed about your city codes and insurance coverage.

gg=alice

sadness...that we have to deal with these type of issues.
I would employ the direct approach - stake out and confront them, possibly set up 'fake' security cameras that have a red light projecting...definitely contact he parents (once you know who the munchkins are). Police are worthless for this kind of stuff until after the fact. I feel for ya.

GG and BC are on point. GG is with me on this one.....someone, someday, as long as these morons are doing this, they'll mess with the wrong guy.

My wife actually had the conversation with these wee fellas after they noticed my rifle. She mentioned that very thing. ''What you're doing is nothing but annoying and destructive, but if you keep this up, someone is going to get much madder than I am at 2 AM.". I then put my gun away, and followed them home, driving my car behind them. We haven't seen them since.

Motion detecting spots are a good place to start. Watch where you place them, and set the sensitivity in a way that you're not lighting up the neighbors house like a stadium everytime a car drives by.

You didn't mention this in your first post....are these dudes doing this in broad daylight, or sneaking around at night?

Electric fence would be REALLY direct. When working in the automotive industry, we worked with a body shop who's back lot was repeatedly pilfered. Wheels, hubcaps, anything they could remove easily. Up to that point, it was all chain link. They installed the wire and a 10,000V transformer. Set up to notify the cops if it got tripped, like an alarm system. Notified one evening....guy wasn't dead, but clearly damaged and very unconscious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gkruske said:
They installed the wire and a 10,000V transformer.

10,000 volts might be a little severe for a pool fence :-D
But..a good old fashioned cattle eletric fence would send a message!

polyvue said:
I'm not a judge but if I was and a case appeared before me where children were electrocuted by a perimeter fence around a home pool, I would not act favorably toward the pool owner. Just my two cents.

If duly warned and notified, and it was legal, not a lot a judge could do. You have to follow what the law says, kids or not. If i had punks messing up my pool, i wouldn't care what happened to them, really. Privte property and they are trespassing.

I vote in favor of video.
Once you have recorded evidence of them trespassing, vandalizing, or anything else unlawful, they should be easy to locate - show clips to neighborhood kids and someone will ID them even if the police won't. Either way, if the police refuse to take action when presented with irrefutable evidence of a crime, then you have extra issues, but you can still get an attorney to file a civil suit. Actually, you can file two if the cops refuse action.

Or, you can just play clips for their parents. If anyone showed up with video of my kids doing some garbage like that, I can assure you that my little darlings' actions would change abruptly.

Yes, 10K is extreme. It was an odd situation, and was actually recommended to the shop by the police dept.

Seems we all have good opinions here. Motion spots, video, dogs, cattle fences, the list goes on. Bottom line is that no one wants this to happen to anyone, no less someone damaging one of our biggest investments/toys. Stuff like this is gathering national attention now.....bored teens who are SO bored that they resort to taking the aggression out on other people's property. NightLine recently did a piece on this, where teens were breaking into vacant homes and destroying everything in sight.

Get em on video, stake them out in a fashion where you won't get hurt, get em with spot lights, or just a good old-fashioned neighborhood watch. Everyone's got a phone in their hand, ready to dial.

Sorry so long, but I can sympathize. No damage done to me, just annoyed.

gkruske said:
Seems we all have good opinions here. Motion spots, video, dogs, cattle fences, the list goes on. Bottom line is that no one wants this to happen to anyone, no less someone damaging one of our biggest investments/toys. Stuff like this is gathering national attention now.....bored teens who are SO bored that they resort to taking the aggression out on other people's property.
This is my opinion:

Invite them over to swim in your pool. Feed them lunch. Talk to them.

Never know what might happen after this but you won't be considered a target any more.

I had the same hangers and they lasted one season. One of them had one hook break off the other had both hooks break off. Maybe it is due to the extreme weather swings here in the midwest, but I thought they were pieces of **** (insert your favorite explicative here).

gkruske said:
NightLine recently did a piece on this, where teens were breaking into vacant homes and destroying everything in sight.

This has happened in our town a couple of times... there isn't really anywhere local where kids can just hang....not much for them to do except loiter and party if that's their inclination. A friend of mine had purchased the home he grew up in from his parents when they retired to Florida, he spent $50K renovating it, left on vacation for the holidays to visit his folks in Florida and while he was gone, kids broke in and had a 3-day party on a weekend....the place was TRASHED. Nearly $70,000 in damage, all the work he had done was for nothing...I won't begin to tell you the distgusting awful things these kids did, kids from "normal" families that live around here.... it's what a combination of being perhaps overprivilidged, with being bored and then throw in drugs and alcohol...its awful.

I am quite surprised that no one mentioned thorn bushes. An electrified fence may actually make them start messing with the fence, daring other kids to touch it and such. But fall into a rose bush and they have to deal with the throbs all the way home.

Hang a fake wasp nest or two, too.

Aren't you the smart one! I didn't even think about bushes to protect the pool, but I do tell everyone to put a holly bush outside their house windows to deter intruders. For the pool, you would have to have quite a thicket of them lined all the way down the border and set far enough from the fence that they couldn't be jumped over. That would be a lot. Video would probably be cheaper!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.