Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping paint?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping paint?

Last fall I removed all the alum. coping from my 18x36 buster crabbe inground pool. I've sandblasted 2 of the 50+ panels..... I planned to have them powdercoated. No I think I better ask the pro's. What would you suggest? Keep on my powder coating track or use some sort of pool paint? Summer will be here in like 5 months. Thanks! Jason.
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping paint?

Powder coat, when flexed, breaks. I doubt it can be reattached in such a way to prevent it. Powder coats are heated to melt them. This may cause warping.

After sand blasting, spray with primer and Rustolium.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Powder coating is probably the toughest, most durable finish you can apply. I don't know how ridgid the coping is prior to installation but, once installed, I can't imagine a better finish.

I would suggest taking a piece of the coping to the powder coating applicator and get their opinion and/or warranty.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a friend who works for a Powder Coating Company. They will do them for 1.00 a piece. So I'd have 60 bucks invested or so.... I think the coping is pretty sturdy, I don't think it would bend or flex at all. Painting them at home would be easier and much easier to touch up later on.
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I give a quick 'primer' on coping painting at the bottom of this thread.

If I read this thread correctly, you'll need to remove the coping from the pool to get the powdercoat applied. If you do this, please make a diagram and # the pieces so that they go back on correctly (probably some pieces were cut so that they fit around the pool correctly, if you don't, the coping might not go back on the right way.)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I numbered them!! LOL

7. Back To Top    #7

Progress continues I started sanding with my DA Sander and it's working really well. Hope to post some pics soon.