Re: tiki lamp oil in pool

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD

The original question, that resulted in these replies, seems to have gone missing. JasonLion

You want to soak up, or skim out, as much of the oil as you can by hand first. The more you can remove, the sooner the pool will be back to normal. They make special sponge like things that soak up oil and mostly ignore water.

Chlorine alone will break down the oil eventually. Enzyme products can speed that process up. Either way it is still going to take a little while to get rid of it completely.

Some time ago one of our members had his pool vandalized with motor oil and brake oil. One of the suggestions for removal of the motor oil was pig mats. Depending on how much Tiki oil you have to clean up a bag of these might be worth it.

Best of success!

[EDIT] I corrected the link to the enzyme used to remove oil -- the one I had before is for small problems while the one I now link to is more concentrated and with enzymes more suited for larger spills. [END-EDIT]

Jason's idea of using enzymes (such as this one) is a good idea if the physical removal and slow chlorine breakdown of the oil doesn't work quickly enough. Anna, those pig mats are a great idea and one photo example on that web site shows them being used for soaking up something on the surface of a liquid in a tank.

I recently had a customer accidentally put in 10 gallons of diesel fuel, that he accidentally stored in refillable carboy containers, so I understand where this is coming from. The customer had tried a few methods before coming in, but Pool Pizzaz or Pool Perfect, those organic enzymes were the solution he was looking for, and is probably the solution you are looking for. You are going to want to steer clear of the 'maintenance dose' and kick it up a notch to fizz out your problem.
Hope that helps =]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.