Frozen water in pumps on un-winterized pool-precautions??

Dec 2, 2009
Naples, FL
Hello to you all,

Our "company expert" is out today and my knowledge is limited on this sort of thing - I have an inquiry from an above ground pool owner wondering if there's any precautions needed for firing up her pool pump? She claims everything is thawed, and I don't see why she couldn't fire it up as is? Let me know if I'm wrong!

My advice would be to inspect all the plumbing and connections with a visual look-over, fire it up, pay close attention to any abnormal sounds or leaks... Is that about all she can do? I don't want to give the wrong advice! Thank you all! :)

Where is the subject pool located? If there was a freeze, how long did it last and did she see visible ice on/near the equipment? If all is completely thawed if there was a leak she should see evidence of it, I would think... if the pump was off during the freeze I would think that the only way to know if there was damage to the pump/filter is to try it, as you suggested...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.