Help me identify my filter

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
My pool has a Pentair 4000 series DE filter. Which 4000 series is a mystery. The decal is blistered and flaked, I can find no model number anywhere. I scoured the Pentair website, downloaded all the pdf files that apply, and scrutinized them. Identifying it would be a cakewalk if I had the filter apart - just measure the height of the screens. Or the center rod. But it's not apart. Seems to be working fine, so I'm not going to tear it apart just for that. I'm a mechanic by trade - I've learned and relearned not to disturb seals for no good reason! I just want to know how much DE to add when I backflush, and for that, I need the size.

So I emailed Pentair. Here's the reply:
MEASURE THE FILTER FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND YOU CAN GO TO OUR WEBSITE TO GET THE PROPER SIZE OF THE FILTER AND IT WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH DE YOU NEED.
No, it won't. I tried that already.

The filter is 49" from the pad to the top of the tank, not including the pressure gauge/air bleed.
The lid is 16" from the top of the clamp to the top of the tank, not including the gauge.

Does anyone out there have a Pentair 4000 with similar dimensions who can tell me the model number?

Richard, I can't help you identify the filter, but I can give you a justification for disassembling the thing. You need to periodically clean and inspect the grids to remove caked DE and other debris as well as to inspect for tears.

I know what you mean about not disturbing seals that aren't leaking. I had a tractor that was bone dry until I had to replace some shifter parts. New seals, old seals, tight bolts, snug bolts, it didn't matter, it always leaked from then on.

I wish I could tell you the model # and thereby size, but knowing the tank size should allow you to figure out which model you have. I suspect that it's probably ~ 60 sf and therefore would take ~ 6 lbs of fresh DE after a complete backwash (please see this thread from Pool School's 'Further Reading' section :)

Well, there's only 4 choices for filter size in this series. The only differences are the height of the screens, the height of the center rod, and the height of the upper housing.

Once its starts warming up, more folks will start reading this forum, and hopefully I'll get an answer. Even if someone tells me they have a model X and it's Y inches tall, that may give me what I need to determine my model.

Some day I'll tear it down to clean it thoroughly and then I can measure the screens, but the pressure hasn't raised more than 1 psi in months and the water is sparkling clean.

If you are sure that it is a Pentair filter, then you could look through the manuals and see if you recognize the parts and/or part numbers which are sometimes stamped on the parts.

Pentair Filters

manasia said:
I would like to bump this thread, I cannot determine either. I am having the exact same problem as Rich.

Rich did you ever Identify your filter?
Nope.

I have it narrowed down to 1 of 4 models - the only differences being the height of the top tank and the filter elements inside. I'll just wait a while. Someone may answer, or I'll just have to open the thing to clean it and measure the screens then.

mas985 said:
If you are sure that it is a Pentair filter, then you could look through the manuals and see if you recognize the parts and/or part numbers which are sometimes stamped on the parts.

Pentair Filters

Mark thank you for the answer. But their are not any part numbers listed on this device.

This is only device I have ever seen, that has no serial number or part number engraved into the unit. Are all pool filters made like this?

Hey Mike, Yea I see the 4 models listed, and I am not sure which one it is either.

Richard320 said:
manasia said:
I would like to bump this thread, I cannot determine either. I am having the exact same problem as Rich.

Rich did you ever Identify your filter?
Nope.

I have it narrowed down to 1 of 4 models - the only differences being the height of the top tank and the filter elements inside. I'll just wait a while. Someone may answer, or I'll just have to open the thing to clean it and measure the screens then.

Rich, you can determine the size of the filter by measuring the screens? If that is the case, I have taken those screens out of the filter already. I will measure those tonight, when I get home and post my results here.

Not always but sometimes some of the parts INSIDE the filter will have a number stamped on them. They are usually molded plastic parts and the number is part of the mold. If not you will have to go by how the parts look compared to the blow-ups shown in some of the manuals. Also, if you can post a picture of the filter, someone might recognize it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
Looks like there's a grid laying on the ground! Does that say anything on it? That should definitely help figure it out.

Is your pump painted? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Did you measure the grid? That should be a big help. Also, count how many grids are in there, full size and half size if there are any.

gg=alice

I wouldn't be too concerned about the label as your filter is quite old and manufactures do change them sometimes for marketing reasons.

Check the parts inside the manual and see if they don't look the same as what you have. There are very few filters made that look like yours so there is a very good chance the SMBW2000 is the filter you have.

Also, you can email the picture to Pentair for confirmation.

Hey Mas,

Thank you for the information. I am certain it is the SMBW2000. I just need to measure the depth of it, to determine which one it is. Would I have to order parts for it directly from pentair, or does anyone know of any alternate places to purchase filter parts for?

Just google the part numbers and you should come up with a lot of hits. Here are a few stores I have used but others may have suggestions as well.

http://www.poolplaza.com
http://www.inyopools.com

There are lots of others. Just check back in before purchasing to make sure no one on the forum has had a bad experience with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.