Questions about booster pump

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
I am sure I am fine but thought I would ask. I was running my polaris cleaner yesterday. I had forgotten I turned it on and looked out and saw it was not moving at all so I went to check on it. Come to find out there is the part that goes into the pool like a return jet. The plastic actually broke off I guess from back up pressure in the line from the bag being too full. I empited out the bag and took our the return vent. Turned the booster pump on and it was still putting out pressure in the pool. Do I need to worry that I may have messed it up>

Also my other questions is, that the pressure on my pump guage has been on 10-11 for the longest time. I am still getting good flow from my return jets and was thinking that maybe the filter is not having to clean the pool as much or could there be an issue with the guage?

Thanks.

laurandavid09 said:
I am sure I am fine but thought I would ask. I was running my polaris cleaner yesterday. I had forgotten I turned it on and looked out and saw it was not moving at all so I went to check on it. Come to find out there is the part that goes into the pool like a return jet. The plastic actually broke off I guess from back up pressure in the line from the bag being too full. I empited out the bag and took our the return vent. Turned the booster pump on and it was still putting out pressure in the pool. Do I need to worry that I may have messed it up>

What model Polaris? Poolcenter.com and very likely Polaris has exploded diagrams where you can identify the part that is broken. Just about every piece of a Polaris, including a wall fitting, is replaceable. Bags fill up all of the time; on a pressure side Polaris, the venturi jets just keep trying to blow more debris into the cavity -- it shouldn't create back pressure on the line.

Also my other questions is, that the pressure on my pump guage has been on 10-11 for the longest time. I am still getting good flow from my return jets and was thinking that maybe the filter is not having to clean the pool as much or could there be an issue with the guage?

For the longest time? That's a bit like measuring the longest yard... :-D Winter often deposits less debris into the pool, especially after the leaves from deciduous trees have left their perches in late autumn, been emptied into the landfill or otherwise disposed of. If you've noticed that the pool floor regularly has a lot of visible dirt and/or leaves, then it's time to be concerned about the filter. If it's been many weeks or months, backflush it (sand or DE) or inspect the cartridges to verify the PSI reading.

With the Pressure side Polaris the bag "filling up" should not stop the Polaris from moving. It may cause it to slow down or run on its side some or do some other funny maneuvers but that is caused only by the weight of the bag. That will not ruin your Polaris. The Polaris internal jets, though, can get clogged up if tiny debris from the return (pressure water that feeds the Polaris) is forced into the Polaris innards. The fitting, that is on the end of the Polaris hose has a very fine screen that catches fine debris that makes it through the filter. That screen is vital for keeping tiny debris out of the internals of the Polaris. On this end of your cleaning system, if pressurized water is coming out of the wall fitting then you should look at the condition of the tiny filter screen (and if it is properly in place) and keep it cleaned out (I clean mine at least once a week) or clogging of the jets in the Polaris (or other internal Polaris parts problem) or water leaking from one or more of several places. Also, there is usually a red or blue disc in place in the return wall fitting to regulate the pressure going to the Polaris. There may be some instances where the colored disc is not used but all I've seen (friends) have them in place.

The big dot (white, red, black, blue, etc,.,) on the hose wall fitting is a pressure release that will open up when the wall pressure is more than the Polaris can handle for whatever reason. After a certain amount of time the hose fitting wears out or breaks including the pressure release either not opening or stuck open. Feel for water coming out around the hose fitting and wall fitting to see if any water is coming out at that point.

Another place for water to escape it the free turning joints on hose where each section joins. They wear out and either let water escape and/or become stiff so that the hose doesn't turn freely when it needs to straighten out.

Over time I replace parts of my Polaris including the return fitting, hose fitting, swiveling hose connectors, tails, parts of hose, etc. The little tiny filter screen usually last longer than the hose wall fitting so I have some spares of those; good for when one is lost. You can purchase all of these parts at many Pool Stores or less expensively on line.

Individual Polaris have different drive mechanisms. Some are belt driven; some are gear driven. Please post your model number so that more troubleshooting can be done. :-D

I've had several Polaris since the one with the bigger intake hole came out; many years. I've only had to replace them when my dogs "rescue" and then "kill" them. Otherwise I just replace parts. The one I have now, at least five years old (but more than likely much older), with minimum of 10 hours a day use, almost year round, has external parts that are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., years old from replacing external parts here and there.

BTW... the drive belt driven Polaris are rumored to have more issues with internal drive issues. Every pool guy/guy I have contact with recommends the gear driven for longevity and less drive issues. Every pool owner, I know, who has a Polaris had the gear drive recommended to them by Pool Builders, Pool Stores, pool service people. Polaris are really popular around these parts. Every person I know, here abouts, with an IG pool, uses Polaris gear driven.

BTW... all parts of the Polaris can be user replaced if one is so inclined. The external shell can even be replaced if one wants a pristine looking pool cleaner.

:) Posts your model number and there will be good people along to assist. :)

gg=alice

And you wonder why we in Florida put in pool cages :-D I freeked out the other day when I found a leaf in the pool :x No doubt it was from a plant that DW brought in from the cold spell we had a week ago :grrrr: I just pulled out the net which has never been used and fished it out :goodjob: I did not want my chlorine to be used up with unnecessary bacteria :cheers:

That's the wall fitting, with the pressure relief thingy on the side that geekgranny was talking about.
I broke one of those once... as I recall not a super expensive part. Pretty much any store that deals in any pressure-side cleaner will carry an equivalent; in fact the one I broke was not a Polaris part, it was Lentro or something like that. But as long as it screws into the wall and the hose attaches to it, it doesn't matter who made it.
--paulr

Where does the little thing on the right fit in to the whole of the hose/wall fittings. I'm not familiar with that part. May be my "oldtimers", but I don't recall ever seeing that part.

And, have you posted your Polaris model number. If you don't know it a picture will identify it. :)
gg=alice

According to my Polaris 380 manual, the middle picture posted by lauraanddavid09 pretty clearly shows the threaded Universal Wall Fitting on the left, still attached to the Quick Disconnect, which incorporates the pressure relief valve; the nipple on the right has broken off, which is where the hose attaches. According to the parts diagram in my manual, the whole thing is referred to as a UWF Connector Assembly, part #9-100-9001. I also checked the Polaris 280 manual, same thing; I expect any pressure-side cleaner with booster pump would use the same one.
--paulr

PaulR said:
According to my Polaris 380 manual, the middle picture posted by lauraanddavid09 pretty clearly shows the threaded Universal Wall Fitting on the left, still attached to the Quick Disconnect, which incorporates the pressure relief valve; the nipple on the right has broken off, which is where the hose attaches. According to the parts diagram in my manual, the whole thing is referred to as a UWF Connector Assembly, part #9-100-9001. I also checked the Polaris 280 manual, same thing; I expect any pressure-side cleaner with booster pump would use the same one.
--paulr

Right. DUH. That is the piece that is on the end of the hose fitting that the hose attaches to. :oops:

I was thinking mine was one molded piece. Just looked at it and it is the same.

PaulR said:
That's the wall fitting, with the pressure relief thingy on the side that geekgranny was talking about.
I broke one of those once... as I recall not a super expensive part. Pretty much any store that deals in any pressure-side cleaner will carry an equivalent; in fact the one I broke was not a Polaris part, it was Lentro or something like that. But as long as it screws into the wall and the hose attaches to it, it doesn't matter who made it.
--paulr

I like replace the hose fitting every couple of years or so. With all my silt and grit and taking it off and on almost daily, it gets hard to go in/out smoothly, especially as the water temps go down and using it virtually year round. I usually replace the wall fitting, too, every three or four years. The benefits far outweigh the small costs, especially compared to all the other outrageous cost for other pool things. BTW.... the wall fittings I used for years didn't have a collar that makes tightening and untighting the fitting easy to do. The last one I put in this year has a collar, with flat edges that are so much nicer to work with.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
laurandavid09 said:
Does anyone have any reasons why it may have broken? I am thinking maybe it was weakened from being in the pool all the time, but I think I may be wrong.

One possibility is too much pressure. How long has it been in the pool? Lawsy, I've never had an end pop out like that and my the pressure coming out of the Polaris return is mighty strong (when the filter is in good condition and the Polaris pump is working properly). At any rate my Polaris gets so much water pressure that it races around the pool like a race horse. Another thing could be the pressure relief valve may have stuck closed creating too much pressure for the part to handle. Anyone who has a pool and sees my Polaris comments on how fast it moves compared to theirs. Can't remember if you use the little red or blue restrictors in the wall fitting. I think you do. Maybe the wrong one was used. If there is something clogging the hose or inside Polaris between hose fitting end and where the jets are on the Polaris, enough back pressure could, also, conceivably cause enough back pressure, if the pressure relief valve is not opening, to blow the end off of the hose fitting.

Or maybe your fitting was just defective from the start, a weak weld maybe.

I've had Polaris for years, getting blazing Texas sun, staying in the pool virtually all the time. I had one wall fitting that was so old and stuck that I had to break it up to get it out. It was possibly 10 years old, in the pool year round. That's when I started replacing them every few years. The thing that has virtually always malfunctioned on my fittings has been the pressure relief valve and usually stuck open rather than stuck shut. Otherwise I replace fittings for my comfort; putting hose fitting in or taking it out.

I'm suspecting a pressure issue some where; not low pressure but too much.

gg=alice

If I've left something out or suggested something bad or wrong someone(s) please comment and make suggestions.

First get a new hose fitting so that you can start narrowing down what the problem(s) may be. Cheapest, fastest, easiest way to start out.

Find a helper.

If water is going to come out the jets in the neck it will squirt up so be prepared to get somewhat wet. It helps to put a Polaris bag on to subdue the stream and keep from getting too wet.

If the hose fitting fits into to wall fitting okay, you can wait to replace the wall fitting. (BTW...My hose and wall fitting were so stuck together, a couple of months ago, I had to unscrew them out of the wall together like you have done. I even tried to separate them using two rubber strap thingies but couldn't get them separated. I had made the mistake of using some pool lube, wrong kind, on hose fitting. It helped for a couple of times but then it became virtually impossible to take out just the hose fitting. I unscrewed them both and put a new wall fitting and new hose fitting in. I'll try to separate them again when I have more patience.)

Attach the hose fitting to wall fitting, with all pumps off. Put the Polaris in pool, on an upper step for instance. Turn on main pump. Wait minute or so then have helper turn on booster pump. (Any pressure side properly running Polaris, I've had, will shoot a bit of water out all jets even without the booster pump on.) Pick Polaris up by hose to see if any water is coming out the back-end jet and/or from underneath.

Note what you see and where water is or seems to be coming out.

Then have helper turn on booster pump.

If no water comes out anywhere have helper shut off the pumps immediately.

If some water comes out anywhere make note then shut down pumps.

Go over to the wall fitting. Put your hand loosely around the fittings, keeping face well away from pool.

Have helper repeat process of turning on each pump.

Do you fell any water coming out around the fittings and/or from the relief valve?

If from the relief valve then it is doing it's job. But this probably indicates there is too much back pressure somewhere. You can actually feel the differences in water stream, from relief valve, depending on how much back pressure there is. Turn off pumps.

If there is no water coming out of Polaris or not much and or the pressure relief valve is letting water flow out then report back here for further trouble shooting.

If there is a decent (so just how long is that the longest yard, huh? :hammer: ) amount of water coming out of any jets on Polaris then put it in the Pool and have helper repeat process of turning on pumps.

Observe movement, if any, and mentally compare it to how it used to move.

Turn pumps off.

Report back your findings.

Now, girl that's an order (and a bunch of them). :mrgreen: EDIT.... :oops: probably "guy". end edit

gg=alice

laurandavid09 said:
Does anyone have any reasons why it may have broken? I am thinking maybe it was weakened from being in the pool all the time, but I think I may be wrong.
Mine broke because I was trying to get it off and used too much force. Or maybe it was seriously stuck and couldn't have come off any other way, yeah, that's it. Anyway, parts fail from time to time, especially if they're out in the sun and water constantly for years.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.