New pool, how do I get the vacuum to work?

May 2, 2007
I have a new above ground pool, well, used but new to me, how do I get the vacuum to work? I submerged the hose under water, connected one end to the vacuum, the other end to the skimmer hole, but my return always stops.

Got any tips?

This usually happens because the vacuum hose is letting air get to the pump. Check the vacuum hose to make sure that it isn't either blocked or letting air in. If you fill it with a garden hose, holding the two ends up, no water should leak out. Especially check around where the end fitings connect to the actual hose. Then when you let the water out it should run freely from either end.

Another thing to try is backwashing/cleaning the filter. Sometimes a mostly dirty filter combined with the extra resistance of the vacuum hose is too much for the system.

hook the hose to the vacuum and drop it in the pool, then lower the other end to the pool inlet and wait for water to come out the end as you lower it into the pool. once water comes out, dunk it and put it in the vacuuming hole.

Yep just put it in front of the return eye and it will force water and air out the vacuum end. Then you are ready to hook to the skimmer/vac plate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.