Test Results

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
Water Temp-50 degrees

Results

pH-8.2(Cause by aeration and possibly rain)
FC-.5
CC-0
TC-.5
TA-210
CH-170
CYA-20

I have been trying to raise my CYA by using chlorine pucks but it seems to be dropping. I assume this is to a large pH level combine with a large TA level. I need to go turn down the vents so they no longer aerate.

What do I need to tackle right now?

Thanks.

With the water fairly cold, and assuming there aren't any problems you didn't mention, I would drop the PH down to around 7.4, add a little chlorine, and leave it at that for now. In the spring you can work on getting CH up, TA down, and CYA up.

Chlorine tablets (trichlor) will add CYA, but only quite slowly (especially in cold water, where they dissolve more slowly than usual). The CYA test isn't precise enough to measure small changes in the CYA level, and tends to read lower than actual when done with cold water.

JasonLion said:
With the water fairly cold, and assuming there aren't any problems you didn't mention, I would drop the PH down to around 7.4, add a little chlorine, and leave it at that for now. In the spring you can work on getting CH up, TA down, and CYA up.

Chlorine tablets (trichlor) will add CYA, but only quite slowly (especially in cold water, where they dissolve more slowly than usual). The CYA test isn't precise enough to measure small changes in the CYA level, and tends to read lower than actual when done with cold water.

Should I stop using the pucks since the water is so cold?

You can keep using the pucks for now if you want, it is just that they won't raise the CYA level very much. As long as you are able to run the pump, it is a good idea to keep a little chlorine in the water over the winter, and the pucks are a good way to do that, especially given that your CYA is low and PH seems to get high.

JasonLion said:
You can keep using the pucks for now if you want, it is just that they won't raise the CYA level very much. As long as you are able to run the pump, it is a good idea to keep a little chlorine in the water over the winter, and the pucks are a good way to do that, especially given that your CYA is low and PH seems to get high.

I am trying to use them up since I will be using bleach for chlorine instead. If I am using the pucks, do I still need to add bleach or will the pucks work just fine for now?

laurandavid09 said:
I am trying to use them up since I will be using bleach for chlorine instead. If I am using the pucks, do I still need to add bleach or will the pucks work just fine for now?
At 50° F. you're probably OK no matter what you decide to do but if this were my pool after adjusting pH with muriatic acid, I'd get the FC up to 5-10% of CYA ... the pucks wouldn't be able to add anything quickly enough to suit me so I'd add liquid chlorine to boost FC from .5 ppm to somewhere between 1 and 2 ppm minimum. Also think this is one case where it wouldn't do any harm to leave the pucks in -- when your water gets to be 65 degrees and the CYA starts getting close to 40-45 ppm, watch out... er, rather, pull the pucks out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.