Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Test Results

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    258

    Test Results

    Water Temp-50 degrees

    Results

    pH-8.2(Cause by aeration and possibly rain)
    FC-.5
    CC-0
    TC-.5
    TA-210
    CH-170
    CYA-20

    I have been trying to raise my CYA by using chlorine pucks but it seems to be dropping. I assume this is to a large pH level combine with a large TA level. I need to go turn down the vents so they no longer aerate.

    What do I need to tackle right now?

    Thanks.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887

    Re: Test Results

    With the water fairly cold, and assuming there aren't any problems you didn't mention, I would drop the PH down to around 7.4, add a little chlorine, and leave it at that for now. In the spring you can work on getting CH up, TA down, and CYA up.

    Chlorine tablets (trichlor) will add CYA, but only quite slowly (especially in cold water, where they dissolve more slowly than usual). The CYA test isn't precise enough to measure small changes in the CYA level, and tends to read lower than actual when done with cold water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    258

    Re: Test Results

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    With the water fairly cold, and assuming there aren't any problems you didn't mention, I would drop the PH down to around 7.4, add a little chlorine, and leave it at that for now. In the spring you can work on getting CH up, TA down, and CYA up.

    Chlorine tablets (trichlor) will add CYA, but only quite slowly (especially in cold water, where they dissolve more slowly than usual). The CYA test isn't precise enough to measure small changes in the CYA level, and tends to read lower than actual when done with cold water.
    Should I stop using the pucks since the water is so cold?

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887

    Re: Test Results

    You can keep using the pucks for now if you want, it is just that they won't raise the CYA level very much. As long as you are able to run the pump, it is a good idea to keep a little chlorine in the water over the winter, and the pucks are a good way to do that, especially given that your CYA is low and PH seems to get high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    258

    Re: Test Results

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You can keep using the pucks for now if you want, it is just that they won't raise the CYA level very much. As long as you are able to run the pump, it is a good idea to keep a little chlorine in the water over the winter, and the pucks are a good way to do that, especially given that your CYA is low and PH seems to get high.
    I am trying to use them up since I will be using bleach for chlorine instead. If I am using the pucks, do I still need to add bleach or will the pucks work just fine for now?

  6. Back To Top    #6
    polyvue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, California USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Test Results

    Quote Originally Posted by laurandavid09
    I am trying to use them up since I will be using bleach for chlorine instead. If I am using the pucks, do I still need to add bleach or will the pucks work just fine for now?
    At 50° F. you're probably OK no matter what you decide to do but if this were my pool after adjusting pH with muriatic acid, I'd get the FC up to 5-10% of CYA ... the pucks wouldn't be able to add anything quickly enough to suit me so I'd add liquid chlorine to boost FC from .5 ppm to somewhere between 1 and 2 ppm minimum. Also think this is one case where it wouldn't do any harm to leave the pucks in -- when your water gets to be 65 degrees and the CYA starts getting close to 40-45 ppm, watch out... er, rather, pull the pucks out!
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •