Intex Pump / Filter Performance.

For those that have an Intex, like me; how do you find the pump / filtration performance? I've had mine for a few weeks now, and replaced the filter yesterday - it was brown and full of gunk! I've replaced it with another cartridge (type A), but I am thinking of trying a filter sock. I don't know where to obtain them, but have seen these filter bags. Are they designed to replace the cartridge filter, or slip over the top of the cartridge?

If you have used these or have any other suggestions please post, and also if you know where I can get them in Western Australia.

Thanks..

The intex pump that comes with the pool is grossly undersized. Most of the intex owners here replace the pump with a stronger pump made for above ground pools. Keep an eye out for a 3/4 horsepower above ground pool pump and a nice sand, DE, or cartridge filter. You may be able to find some used in good shape that you can install if you want to save some money. There are plenty of people here that can guide you on installation. Anything you add to the current intex filter will just impede performance more. You will save money in the long run if you replace the pump and filter. You can then use a manual or automatic suction side pool vacuum to get debris out of your pool. A bigger filter will clean the water much better and need less frequent cleaning itself. Intex cartridges are supposed to be changed weekly and that can get expensive over time.

Welcome to TFP! I wish you good luck with your pool and a great swim season!

I bought a sand filter and 3/4 HP pump today, plumbed it in and what a difference! In the three or so weeks that we've had the pool it has never looked so clean. The 2.2kLP/H Intex pump was replaced with a 8kLP/H one and there's a definate difference in the swirl pattern / vortex that is happening. I can see that the dirt and debris is being sucked up, rather then being left behind to be vacuumed up.

So, note to Intex owners; throw away that Intex pump and get a better, more powerful one because you'll see and feel the difference. Happy happy, joy joy..

43 degrees Celcius and doing fine; more to come..

Zer0 said:
43 degrees Celcius and doing fine; more to come..
I hope that's your air temperature and not that of the water! :grrrr:

BTW - I believe I speak for every human in the entire Northern Hemisphere right now when I say that we hate the fact that you're enjoying warm temperatures in your pool while we suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous cold....

Oh Intex Pools. No matter what happens in the pool market, this company will always make a butt killing.

As previously state, the pump filter combo systems that intex "offers" are just junk. I have seen better filtration on a fish tank. The 'cartridges' these things run on range from an 7 sq. (PC-7) to a 28 sq. (PIN28) is the biggest I have seen...to put that in cartridge perspective, most SPAS run on minimum one 25 sq ft. filter, and most of them have anywhere from 50-100 square feet of filter, and we are talking 200-500 gallons! No retail establishment, unless an Intex dealer (I dont know any) will be able to get you any sort of parts or schematics on the equipment you have, only filters. The circulation is just dreadful, and most have no way of hooking up vacuum equipment.

However- The store that I manager is in a blue-collar type town, and there are a lot of these pools out there, and we sell quite a few pump-filter replacement packages, starting around $175 or so to replace that dingy thing with a sand filter and 3/4HP pump. At that point, you are paying more for a pump and filter than you are for your whole pool. But Intex is always a good entry level pool. Hope that helps =]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.