Newbie on Ice.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
This is my first winter with an inground pool and just about every ounce of me is skeptical that my pool will survive till Spring without some form or damage even though, to the best of my knowledge everything was winterized properly. (Eternal pessimist) It has been unusually cold here even for NC Kansas in the past month or so except for the past 5 days.

We have been having high's in the 40's and even hit 50 yesterday! Regardless, the mild temps tempted me to lift off a corner of the cover to inspect the pool and the chlorine floater level. Much to my surprise the floater was frozen solid amid a 2" layer of ice that covers the entire top of the water surface.

1. Should I be concerned?

2. How long will it take this type of ice to melt with high's in the 40's and 50's?

3. Can this ice crack my fiberglass pool?

My water level is just even with the bottom of the skimmer flange. (the rectangular part that surrounds the opening of the skimmer.) It is not up into the skimmer yet.

It's ok. My first year i was paranoid too. Mine is frozen solid about 6 inches down, im sure. (estimated depth by how deep the pond is frozen in back of my house). As long as the lines were blown out properly and the filter drained, relax, drink a cup of coffee and sit tight till April :-D

You're square, as everyone else has said.

When we bought the house, it had gone through 2 winters, untouched. Thawed out, and everything was fine. Yeah, it was a frozen green mess when we had the house inspected, but the ice should do no harm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.