should i remove pump for the winter?

bats

Jan 7, 2010
Hi i live in eastern canada where winters are extreamly cold.Some ps stores around here just drain the pipes but they dont remove the pump.Other ps remove the pump and claim that the pump wont last as long if you dont.They say that there's expanshion in the empeller from freezing and unfreezing.

What's your take on this ?

If you drain it there's not going to be any water in the impeller to expand, so that's not an issue. If the pump is easy to disconnect then by all means do so, but in most cases the work involved to disconnect the plumbing and wiring isn't worth the small benefit. At most you'll be preventing some oxidation inside the motor.

If you have unions to easily disconnect the pump and the electrical just plugs in then I would go for it and remove it for the winter. I wouldn't recommend removing and reattaching hardwired electrical to the motor since the board will probably end up breaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.