I am a newbie to the website and this is my first post. I joined a week or so ago and since then have spent the majority of my time perusing the posts and topics just to learn that I have had no clue as to how I should care for and properly maintain my pool.
I had this pool built in 1979. I live in Southern California where the climate is very hot for several months of the year. With the exception of a couple of years when I had my house rented out, I have done the maintenance. On numerous occasions I have brought back to life, that green, slimy swamp full of leaves and debris to that sparkling oasis that has been mentioned on this site. All these years I have only been using a (4 test) Chlorine, pH, Acid Demand, TA test kit, which I now know, only tells about half of the whole story. ( thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this site) I will fix that problem soon by purchasing one of the test kits recommended on the site.
In the hot summer season I have always experienced some algae growth and at one time or another I have probably used every brand of algaecide on the market with some to very little success. About six ago I was having another outbreak of algae and decided to add some algaecide. I went to the local Home Depot and saw a new product that I had never seen before called YELLOW GONE. The YELLOW GONE container said no brushing required, just add the product to the pool, add chlorine and turn on the filter and it will do the rest. I ran the filter for about a day and a half and to my surprise it did what they said it would do.
I thought WOW a product that actually works "that's for me". I continued to use the product the rest of the summer and now I have a problem that I have never experienced before. I now have a scale of some sort covering the entire pool floor. This scale is very hard and will not brush off nor will it come off with a wire brush. I have also tried pumice and a sanding screen that I use for drywall sanding. Nothing seems to touch it. This scale also looks as though it has algae impregnated in it as it has a green tint or color to it.
This YELLOW GONE (NOT yellow out) product is the only new product that I have introduced to the pool in many years so I have to think that this product is the source of my problem. The active ingredient in this product is
DISODIUM SALT OF ETHYLENEDIAMINETRAACETIC ACID DIHYDRATE 10% INERT 90%.
The pool is 30 years old, original plaster and has had one acid wash in its life. I am hoping someone can come up with a chemical solution to get rid of this stuff if there is one.
Last week my readings were CH 1.0, pH my tester goes to 8.2 and it was way above that, TA same thing way high, Acid Demand= 2 Gallons (which I added)
Today CH= 1.5 pH= 7.4, TA= in line, Acid Demand = 0 I'll do better when I get the new test kit.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have!!!! Dale