I have Taylor K-2005 test kit...

Jan 13, 2010
Northern Idaho
I am just getting started and just registered today. I started reading in pool school and got to where I see one of the recommended pool test kits is the Taylor K-2006. I have the Taylor K-2005 and am wondering if I am okay with that or have to get the K-2006. I am a real newbie with this as our pool person is 2 hours away and I'm going to try to start testing and adding on my own so it won't be so expersive. Thank you so much for such a great site in helping get us "newbies" started. Our indoor pool has been up and running since this past August and the last time it was tested by the pool person was a couple months ago. (I'm sure I will get scolded for that LOL).

Welcome to TFP.

The K2005 is good, but the K2006 is better. The K2006 includes a chlorine test, the FAS-DPD that has a color change to indicate chlorine level rather than the color matching test. The FAS-DPD has a very high test range so it can be used while you are shocking the pool.

But don't worry. You can get the FAS-DPD test to add to your kit at

http://duraleighcon378.corecommerce.com/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

This is the TFTestKits site and is a reputable place with fast shipping.

Thank you so much, John. I will go back to reading in pool school.
I have one more question before I go on....
The salt level is 2600 and my monitor says "Low salt..add salt".
Should I get the salt level up to where it should be before I go on with the other testing?
(I'm trying to make sure all is right before my granddaughter has her pool birthday party here next weekend).
Thanks

I'm sorry for not having advice, but... Planning a pool party, in January, with a 23K gallon pool in Northern Idaho is an astonishing concept.

Salt level should not factor into the testing of the other chemical levels, but you should add the salt so that your SWG is making chlorine.

I have the 2005 test kit and purchased the FAS-DPD items (power and liquid) separately and they fit inside my test kit container. For routine every day use you would not require the FAS-DPD test kit and can use the standard color comparison test that comes with the K-2005. The FAS-DPD can read to the .2ppm and also high chlorine levels, and that comes in handy when troubleshooting.

cj - welcome to TFP!!

Your kit will serve you well but, as mentioned by John, you can get the FAS-DPD test from TFtestkits to improve it to be equivalent to the 2006 (I did this a couple years ago and the service was great and I really like the upgrade :-D )

Having an indoor pool makes your chem requirements slightly different from an outdoor pool :| Please ask us if you have any specific questions regarding this :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.