Friend has frozen pool, what's the downside

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
A friend has a pool at his lakehouse. The pump was on a timer and evidently failed. He went down last weekend to check on things. The pool has about a 2" layer of ice over the whole thing and the pump is frozen. His question is, what should he be cocnerned about? I said my first concern is for the pump and filter. His reply is that they can be replaced. I guess the next concern is frozen pvc piping where the piping comes out of the ground to the pump, the inlets, and the returns. Any other concerns? It sounds like he's less worried about buying a new pump and more worried about some big picture problem the ice would create. Any thoughts?

Bummer. :cry: If it were my pool I would get to the lakehouse ASAP for a stay of a few days and take with me any supplies (if there are no close by supply places) that our experts recommend for doing repairs and/or shutting down the pool. Outdoor extension cords a must. Another would be a small submersible pump to lower water level if needed. With the winter starting off the way it has Big Freezes could be a reoccurring issue this winter. I would certainly consider a partial shut down of pool. That's what I've done to my usually open year round pool. I did this as temporary caution for the Big Freeze but I'm probably going to keep it "partially" closed till March. So much less worry.

Reading some of the latest posts he/she may be okay but he/she won't really know till things start to thaw. Our experts will come along with good suggestions.

If it were my pool and I just couldn't get away for a few days or didn't think I could handle any problems I think I would start looking for someone to hire, with adequate skills, to go and stay there for a few days to handle any problems that might occur during the thawing process.

Good Luck to your friend. Hopefully Luck will come through.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.