Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for some piece of mind.

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for some piece of mind.

Hi all.

Went out to the pool today and as you've guessed, the top 2" of surface water is frozen all over - it didn't look like the water was completely frozen to the bottom. We usually don't close our pool for the winter - the pool has never frozen over before; usually we disconnect the pump and bring it indoors but this year all we did was make sure it was disconnected. So many bad things happened over the December period, our usual regime was forgotten. Even the steps were left in. So to see the mini-skating rink was ... interesting. (Pictures posted if requested )

Along with the 2" ice layer on the pool surface, there is ice in the skimmer, the pvc pipes and most likely the pump and filter.

Looks like from Monday onwards, for a good few days, the daytime temps will be between 47 - 57°F but nightime temps range between 21 - 29°F.

So I'm thinking that by Thursday/Friday that ski rink will be gone and the ice in the skimmer & pipes etc will have melted too.

Should I go ahead and drain the pool down to below skimmer level and remove the pump and filter and bring them indoors or leave things as they are?

Thanks for looking and for any thoughts given.
    D

Pool details:
    14613 Gallon AG Round
    Filter: Pro-Clean PCCF200 with Cartridge Filter. Pump: Century LASAR 2.5 HP with High and Low setting

No longer being ripped-off by the Baquacil pimps thanks to TFP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for some piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ≈ D ≈
    Should I go ahead and drain the pool down to below skimmer level and remove the pump and filter and bring them indoors or leave things as they are?
    Hello Almost Equal D,

Your plan sounds like a good one -- but I wouldn't wait very long to act upon it: daytime thawing followed by freezing overnight causes movement, formation and reformation of ice around and in all of that delicate and pricey pool apparatus. Whatever you can do meanwhile to prevent ice from pulling at the parts made of plastic or PVC (skimmer, returns, plumbing) would be good prevention.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks and much appreciated.

D

Pool details:
    14613 Gallon AG Round
    Filter: Pro-Clean PCCF200 with Cartridge Filter. Pump: Century LASAR 2.5 HP with High and Low setting

No longer being ripped-off by the Baquacil pimps thanks to TFP.

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess I should take the PoolSkims out, huh? I didn't do that the day before the Big Freeze because I ran out of time. I did, though, take out the floating hats. When the ice has melted, at end of week, we shall see if they are cracked.

Luckily I purchased the 28" Aquarium gloves and they are roomy enough to use a glove liner so I probably won't go into shock working with my arms down in the cold water.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine