Don't close pool and now freezing - advice

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Hey all :wave:

There have been a number of posts from the folks who usually don't close their pools, owing to the milder temps down south, who are now experiencing trouble because of this prolonged cold snap :cry:

This unexpected and prolonged blast of cold is not to be expected in your area! If you would normally expect this weather, like we get up north, you'd logically have winterized your pool.

I see folks in this situation preparing to winterize their pools next year :( While some preparation is in order, to prevent disastrous issues, I strongly feel that this aberration in the weather is something that we should expect ~ once in a generation.

As such, I suggest that, rather than fully winterizing every season, when in most years it won't be necessary, you simply be prepared to do a "quick and dirty" winterizing, should it become needful again :cool:

Let's face it, the weather forecasters usually don't have a clue whether it will rain or not, however, they do do a lot better with expected temps.

What I propose is to make some small adjustments to your filter system that will allow you to evacuate the lines and drain the equipment if or when we get hit by something like this again.

There are so many different ways pool systems are plumbed that I won't even attempt to generalize it more than to say:
Have plugs ready to plug your returns (after the water has been blown out of them :hammer: .

Have a way set up to blow the water out of the lines!

Know where your drain plugs are and be ready to unscrew them and blow them out, if needed.

As each pool is different, we would need to know a good bit about YOUR set-up to advise you properly on what and how to achieve these goals - pics would REALLY help!!

What I'm trying to say here is that, you don't have to fully winterize your pool if you normally don't - but getting prepared to do so would cost a lot less than having a pool company fully close the pool (it should take less than 1/2 hour to do the 'quick/ temporary winterize' I'm suggesting :-D )

I welcome all questions and comments on the above. :cool:

Hi Ted,
Usually I just let my pump run during these cold snaps, but my pump whines loudly when the weather is cold and my son complained it was keeping him awake. So, that got me thinking maybe it was too loud to run and the neighbors may complain after 2 or 3 nights of noise. I decided to drain the water below the skimmer and capped that line and the return line. Drained the filter, emptied out the pump and siphoned everything out. I didn't have a way to blow the lines on short notice and since my pool is above ground I was able to let gravity do most of the work. I plan to leave the water at this level til March and use my manual vacuum head to draw water off the bottom to run the filter. I felt like this was the best I could do under the circumstances.

This weather is an anomaly for us for sure. I'm sure there will be a lot more people winterizing next year "just in case". While I don't know if that's a bad thing it'll most certainly create more winterizing questions here. the good news is, the winter cover retailers will have something to look forward to next fall.

I haven't winterized and haven't had a problem but every time I stick my hand in that freezing water to empty the skimmer basket I think how nice it would be not to have to do that! :)

The way my pool is plumbed it would be very easy for me to winterize it, but who knew we were going to have several weeks with temps in the teens??? We normally only get a few days of temps below freezing and they're never in a row! Glad I built that equipment shed and glad the BIL had enough 2" styrofoam insulation so I could completely insulate it.

To all those people that didn't winterize and who are fighting it now; hang in there. I'll get better in a few days. After all we're in the middle of global warming!!! :mrgreen:

I had meant to post about the long gloves I now use, in the thread about handy tips, but didn't get around to it. Since I have to put my arms into the cold water so much, attaching and unattaching the Polaris from wall, when I do my frequent backwashes (too small filter is screwed up and needs backwashing about every 24 hours). The gloves have saved me a lot of pain. They are for aquarium cleaning (so as not to contaminate the water) and reach all the way to shoulders AND they are cheap. ~$16 US. When the water is really cold I use a glove liner in them. Any thin knit glove will do as a liner. The gloves are very roomy and way too large for my hands but they don't come in sizes, at least the ones I got. Right now the ones I got are out of stock but you can do a search for "aquarium gloves". Here's the link:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/gro...oogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=aquarium_gloves

These were one of the cheapest and seem reasonably sturdy. I do have to take my jacket off to get them up over my heavy shirt sleeves.

For other non deep wet work I use a pair of very heavy vinyl gloves and use a liner, also, if needed. Polypropylene glove and sock liners are nice because they are very thin and wick moisture.

I did semi-close my pool the day before the cold struck because my filter would not make it through the days of way below freezing without needing one or more backwashes. It was fast and easy because of equipment pad being below grade but still had to run heat tape on pipes and valves that couldn't be drained. I then insulated them well with different kinds of insulation tapes I had laying around. The heat tape and insulating took more time than any thing else. Then, I covered with several layers of plant frost protection fabric and weighted down with heavy rocks. BTW... The new filter is paid for and waiting at the warehouse but I'm not sure when the temps will warm up enough to do pipe gluing. BTW, guys and gals, I almost forgot to drain the booster pump, so don't forget that one.
In the meantime I'm still battling leaves and will be until I get the crew out here to take care of all the blowing leaves. The 1" of ice covering the pool will take a few days to melt. Years ago I picked up a portable trash pump for about $100. It was basically a 1 hp, old, used, but working, pool pump with a 120v cord. The return pipe came up over the pump and extended out about 24" on the horizontal so I could use that as a handle to carry it around. It had a pump basket too. I'm thinking of getting just about any pool place (Leslie's put together the other one for me) to rig up one for me to use with my vacuum cleaner (Tracker 4x with big leaf catcher canister) for the rest of winter and keeping the pool closed until March for normal, local, opening time. BTW... I'm investing in a "Slimebag" for the return water back to pool using the trash pump.

Most people won't have the blowing sand/silt I have but my SolarBreeze (solar top skimmer) finally came in. (I'll start a new post on that when I start using it.) The version 1 models were sold out. The inventors are in development for version 2 to be released this year. They sent me a Beta of ver. 2 and will be sending a full version 2 once it is in production. BTW.... they have moved their manufacturing facility from Asia to Florida USA. :goodjob: They warned me to not leave or use, I assume, the Li-ion batteries in freezing temps so I'll be using it on warm days, this winter. We usually have plenty of those. :roll: But who know about this year.

It has been so many years since we had ice on the pool I can't remember when it was. :?

gg=alice

Quote:Most people won't have the blowing sand/silt I have but my SolarBreeze (solar top skimmer) finally came in. (I'll start a new post on that when I start using it.) The version 1 models were sold out. The inventors are in development for version 2 to be released this year. They sent me a Beta of ver. 2 and will be sending a full version 2 once it is in production. BTW.... they have moved their manufacturing facility from Asia to Florida USA. They warned me to not leave or use, I assume, the Li-ion batteries in freezing temps so I'll be using it on warm days, this winter. We usually have plenty of those. But who know about this year.

Grannygeek, I would be interested in seeing how efficent your SolarBreeze is. Please start a new post when you start using it. :cheers:

Brentr said:
Quote:Most people won't have the blowing sand/silt I have but my SolarBreeze (solar top skimmer) finally came in. (I'll start a new post on that when I start using it.) The version 1 models were sold out. The inventors are in development for version 2 to be released this year. They sent me a Beta of ver. 2 and will be sending a full version 2 once it is in production. BTW.... they have moved their manufacturing facility from Asia to Florida USA. They warned me to not leave or use, I assume, the Li-ion batteries in freezing temps so I'll be using it on warm days, this winter. We usually have plenty of those. But who know about this year.

Grannygeek, I would be interested in seeing how efficient your SolarBreeze is. Please start a new post when you start using it. :cheers:

I most certainly will. I used it a few days ago, late afternoon. We've had cloudy and rain so I put it directly under some fluorescent plant lights to charge it up so I cold use it ASAP again, which was yesterday afternoon and into the night. It became cloudy about an hour after I put it in pool, about 1400 but was still going strong when I got home at 1930; that is in slow, power conserving mode.

I am SUPER IMPRESSED already. Much more to come when I start new thread, hopefully later today.

gg=alice

waste said:
Alice, thank you for the link!! And all the posts you've shared with us!

I just ordered a pair of the aquarium gloves, and will thank you every time I wear them :bowdown:

You are very welcome. I grumble a lot putting them on because the elastic top catches on my sleeves but I really don't mind the hassle once I put my hands/arms down into the < 40 F water. :wink: If I'm only going to use them for a short period and it is cool outside I try to anticipate and wear a thin T-neck but no heavy shirt or jacket. If it is cold I put a vest on over the T-neck. I wear dickies or T-neck a lot because of my crikety neck.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.