The algae is dark green

G

I have a 4' by 12' round overhead pool. Due to illness, I was unable to winterize my pool other than covering it. The algae is dark green and smelly. Will a few gallons of bleach remedy the problem when it gets warmer?

Yes, the algae can be cleaned up in the spring fairly easily. The main issue with not closing properly is if you get a hard freeze. A hard freeze could damage the plumbing. Keeping the pump running when the temperatures are below freezing can prevent freezing in many situations, but if it gets really cold there could still be problems.

Is there anything else to apply besides the bleach?
Right now it is too cold and below freezing. The filter and hoses have been removed and wont be doing anything until march or so anyway

VPasculli said:
Is there anything else to apply besides the bleach?
Right now it is too cold and below freezing. The filter and hoses have been removed and wont be doing anything until march or so anyway
Do you mean that the pool's main filter has been removed? If so, then in a sense you have already closed since you won't be able to circulate the water. If you can but haven't already done so, disconnect the pump and store it inside, then drain some of the water so the level is below the skimmer. If this were my pool, I'd add a gallon or so of bleach now (assuming there was no thick ice sheet formed on top of the water) and stir it around with a paddle or a leaf net so it doesn't settle in one place. It's probably too late for an algaecide to be effective and without the ability to pump and circulate your best option is to protect the pool equipment from damage caused by cold temperatures until spring when you'll have an opportunity to clear the algae.

This article outlines a normal closing. If you have questions about the specifics, post back.

Welcome to TFP :)

well if the water is clear, and you just have dark green algae on the floor and walls the cleanup shouldnt been too bad.. LOTS of shock/bleach, vacumming, brushing ect..

If the pool looks like a swamp.. green algae everywhere, its gonna take more then just "some bleach"

Lots of attention..backwashing..shocking..

i know alot of the guys here dont like to promote the use of floc, but it gets the job done, and it gets in done FAST! And personally when ever i get a call from someone who has a swamp instead of a pool, they want it clear yesterday.. nobody wants to wait for anything these days..

so, this is just my opinion..its what works for me.. and my customers are always amazed and extremely happy with the results
what i do it...

FIRST.. YOU MUST HAVE A FILTER THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO VACUUME YOUR POOL ON A WASTE SETTING.. SAND FILTERS AND MOST DE FILTERS THAT HAVE A MULTIPORT VALVE WILL HAVE A SETTING THAT SAYS EITHER WASTE OR DRAIN... WHEN YOU USE THESE SETTINGS, ALL YOUR DOING IS SUCKING THE POOL WATER INTO YOUR POOL PUMP AND OUT THE BACKWASH LINE. IT BY-PASSES YOUR FILTER. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DONT KNOW, IF YOU JUST WANT TO DRAIN SOME WATER OUT OF YOUR POOL, USING THE WASTE SETTING IS A LITTLE FASTER THEN USING BACKWASH.. ANYWAY....NEVER EVER VACUUME YOUR POOL ON THE BACKWASH SETTING...

1. shock the "heck" out of the pool... hit it good!! :hammer: let filter run atleast 12 hours..

2. add 1 bottle of "floc" and let filter run for 2-3 hours. ( make sure the filter doers not come back on after that time, remove timer pins you you have a timer) during that 2-3 hr period, fill the pool with water as high as you possibly can and brush the entire pool. floor, walls...you want all algae un-stuck and floating... is un-stuck even a word?
You are now done for the day.

3. The following day your pool should be crystal clear, with loads and loads of dead algae sitting on the bottom of the pool. Now you put your multiport on "waste" and vacuume all of the dead algae out of the pool! This part is time consuming, but it works... Just go slow, and take your time. I always keep the garden hose filling the pool as im vac'ing to waste... Once the water level has dropped below the mouth of the skimmer, you will most likely start to suck air into the pump, so stop, turn off the pool pump and let the pool refill.. any algae that was stirred up WILL settle back down.. once pool is filled up, start vac'ing to waste..

4. When done, add water if needed, test and balance pool...swim and enjoy :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.