Is table salt ok?

bats

Jan 7, 2010
My ps uses regular sifto food grade salt.He used it in my pool and i had no problems with it all of last year.

Do you see any problems with useing regular food grade salt?

This salt cost me 5.00 for a 20kl bag.

The ps owner is a friend and he told me that the only difference between table salt and the pool salt is that table salt has a agent that stops
the salt from turning brown while cooking.He uses food grade salt for all the pools that he installs.

Thanks

bats said:
My ps uses regular sifto food grade salt.He used it in my pool and i had no problems with it all of last year.

Do you see any problems with useing regular food grade salt?

This salt cost me 5.00 for a 20kl bag.

The ps owner is a friend and he told me that the only difference between table salt and the pool salt is that table salt has a agent that stops
the salt from turning brown while cooking.He uses food grade salt for all the pools that he installs.
Welcome to the forum... :)

In general, you don't want to add anything to your pool that can't be identified -- it could play havoc with the water chemistry. The fact that there were no evident problems last year doesn't necessarily mean there was no damage to the SWG's electrolytic cell. At least you should consider this possiblity.

I woudn't use any salt that contained anti-caking agents or has been iodized. The manufacturer of my Goldline/AquaLogic SWG specifies salt that is sodium chloride 99.0% pure or better and warns against any additives. I've read a number of posts here that discourage the use of table salt but not sure what would happen if it was used. Here's an excerpt from Pool School:

The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work. Pellets dissolve more slowly, but still dissolve quickly enough to be fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, though it tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

There are various additives that are often put in table salt. Two of the most common ones will cause problems for the pool (staining). You can get table salt without either of the problematic additives, but since the specific additives used are not usually listed, it is safer to avoid table salt. It sounds like you have found a brand of salt that doesn't contain either of those additives.

Is there any brands that you guys can recommend here in canada.I woudn't mind switching over to this this salt softener.

What can i expect to pay for a 40lb bag.Is there any big name hardware store that carries it?

Thanks

Something I thought about months ago...

There was some concern raised about certain types of Calcium Chlroide containing bromine and the outside chance of said product causing a chlorine demand. As Iodine is a halogen would there be a similar concern from adding 100's of lbs of iodized salt?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.