Pool cleaner and skimmer

My old 2hp Whisperflo pump just went out. Just purchased and installed a Intelliflo VS-3050 pump. With my old pump I would have the pentair ATV cleaner and skimmer running at the same time.
My question is since the pump is energy efficient, should I have the Intellitouch control panel turn the valve on just for the ATV cleaner. Then when the pump is slowed down for filtering should I have the valvet turned so it will be just for the skimmer?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Scott

Scott_sandiego said:
My old 2hp Whisperflo pump just went out. Just purchased and installed a Intelliflo VS-3050 pump. With my old pump I would have the pentair ATV cleaner and skimmer running at the same time.
My question is since the pump is energy efficient, should I have the Intellitouch control panel turn the valve on just for the ATV cleaner. Then when the pump is slowed down for filtering should I have the valvet turned so it will be just for the skimmer?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Scott
Hi Scott, Welcome to the forum :-D

I believe the ATV is a suction cleaner. Do you connect the cleaner to the skimmer or a dedicated line? Intelliflo VS owners will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of any reason why the skimmer and cleaner cannot be running simultaneously. In my mind, skimming is a normal part of pumping and filtering and shouldn't be averted. The VS should be able to run your cleaner and still provide sufficient suction to operate the skimmer. When the cleaning cycle is finished, have the Intellitouch adjust to a lower setting and close the valve that suctions water in from the cleaner port.

Yes the ATV is a suction cleaner, that is connected to its own dedicated line. The valve that controls the two input lines(suction line and skimmer line) has a actuator connected to it . Since the pool has been built I have manually set the valve so both lines are open, but more open towards the suction line.
But with the new pump it slows down to about 1600 to filter the pool and auto chloronate, and the atv cleaner does not move. So my thought was to turn the valve all the way on for the skimmer.
I guess my real question is what is the right way to set this up? How do other people have there skimmer and suction cleaner set up, if you use a multi speed pump?

Always draw from both sources of suction to avoid running the pump dry if one source gets clogged. I think a good starting point on the valve is 50/50. Then find out what speed you have to ramp it up to for your cleaner to work properly.

I don't have a valve actuator, but after playing with the valve and the speeds, what works for me is having the valve a little more than half way towards the cleaner and around 2100 rpms which in my case is around 30 gpm and the skimmer works fine at that set up. Speeds will vary from pool to pool depending on pipe sizes and lengths.

This is exactly what I am trying to do (see Intermatic Timer and Relay frustration). Ideally you want the Intelliflo to receive input from your pool cleaner, lets say, about an hour a day, and then from the skimmer the rest of the time. The pool cleaner will require more flow and this can be programmed on the Intelliflo using Feature I. When receiving input from the skimmer, flow can be a lot less and you will get savings from your Intelliflo.

This is esp. important in places like SoCal where power is 31 cents per Kw-hour.

However, in order to switch circuits (between pool cleaner and skimmer) you will need an actuator. This can be controlled by your Intellitouch system.

Good luck--

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.