Algae or not?

Dec 17, 2018
Moorebank
Dear all,
My fibreglass pool got algae recently and was smashed by first chlorine shock (in 2 hours), next day the similar stuff came back then I added 1L algaecide as instructed by pool shop however a few days past it didn't work at all.

Then I shocked pool twice but nothing was improved, even with harsh brushing. It stays firmly on the surface and drove me crazy.

I just wonder what they are, a kind of chlorine resistance algae or some other stains?

anyone can help would be my legend, thanks!

Well hello there! Sounds like you have had a time of it so far. Well TFP has the answer! You need to do a SLAM! As you have seen a couple of shots of chlorine and algaecide do not do the trick. SLAM is a process where you keep the FC (Free Chlorine) up until the algae is gone. Here is a link to it: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain The most important part of the SLAM is the M=maintain the FC at SLAM levels.

Now I need to tell you that you need your own test kit to get this done the proper way AND to keep from having to deal with the green monster named algae. Since you are over on the other side you will need to get your test kit here: Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast. Here in the States we use the Taylor 2006 or the TF-100 but they don't ship to your area. Several mates over there have said the CCL test it is great and they have great customer service.

Until you test kit gets there if you tell us how many gallons your pool holds we can suggest an amount of liquid chlorine to use to keep things from getting worse.

Kim:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and it would be helpful if you fill in your location to reflect you are on the other side of the pond from us. Then fill in your signature to share you pool info.-kind of pool, size (gals), equipment such at filter kind and size, AND you test kit when you get it. This info will help us know your set up at a glance.

as instructed by pool shop

Common mistake... :)

however a few days past it didn't work at all.

Typical result :)

Pool stores are notorious for providing inconsistent and/or incorrect results to pool owners.

As Kim has suggested - best option is to test your pool water yourself using a proper test kit such as the 'Clear Choice Labs' kit(s) to ensure that you obtain accurate and consistent test readings.

Once you receive the test kit we will be able to help you get your pool back into shape ie. sparkling clear water.

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool shop. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't get this way overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool shop.

Not much credence is given to pool shop testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the shop for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. As you are down under, you really only have one choice: Order a Total Pool Water Testing Kit, Fresh Water Clear Choice Labs If you pool has a salt water chlorine generator they also have a salt kit so you can accurately test the salt level.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please don't go back to the pool shop for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The Total Pool Water Testing Kit, Fresh Water Clear Choice Labs has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool shop generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

It would help us answer your questions if we know a little more about your pool. Could you please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

In the US, household bleach (which is chlorine) seems to be priced cheaper than chlorine you purchase in the pool shops.

Here DownUnder I found that bleach you find in the supermarket isle is not all that cheap as compared to purchasing chlorine from Bunnings (one of our large hardware chains) and the strength of the bleach is usually much lower which means you need to purchase more of it.

If you have a Bunnings nearby - grab their 15L liquid chlorine containers which seems to be the best buy.

This stuff is at 12.5% strength which is about twice as strong as most of the common bleach/chlorine found at the supermarket here in Aus.

Our Range | The Widest Range of Tools, Lighting & Gardening Products

Note - Stick to liquid chlorine - Do not purchase granular/powdered chlorine as this contains other additives which are not normally required.

Tip #2 - You can also purchase Hydrochloric (Muratic) acid (32% strength) at Bunnings as well for a good price.

You will find that you will be required to add some acid in the pool at regular intervals to keep your PH in check.

If you have a Bunnings nearby - grab their 15L liquid chlorine containers which seems to be the best buy.

This stuff is at 12.5% strength which is about twice as strong as most of the common bleach/chlorine found at the supermarket here in Aus.
Thanks for the cultural information. I'm more versed in Canadian shopping at places like Canadian Tire (you can get almost anything at this store I am led to believe).

If using 12.5% liquid chlorine cut my advice in half, 1/2 a US bottle (about 2 liters) a day until proper testing can be established and a more refined amount given.

Thanks all,

had drained and refilled 1/3 of pool, water test seems fine:
PH: 7.6
FC: 2.3
CC: 0
CYA: 71
Alkalinity: 70
Hardness: 175
Copper: 0
Phosphate: 0
Yesterday did another shock with diluting 15L liquid chlorine and filtering overnight, however nothing was changed.
Are they really an algae? attached images for any clue.20181218_063427.jpg20181218_063505.jpg

It’s hard to tell. You are still going to the pool shop for testing and we don’t trust their numbers. You need your own test kit and to conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Now is the time to make a decision, keep following the pool shop and dropping money there or follow our methods.

As the articles that have been linked point out, the pool industry refuses to recognize the connection between CYA/Stabilizer and the ability of chlorine to do it's thing sanitizing the water. others here can give you the scientific details if you want, but lets just say CYA locks the ability of chlorine to sanitize. The more CYA you have the more chlorine you need to keep in the pool to keep algae at bay. I took over my pool with a CYA of about 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away.

It's your decision. Pool store or TFP. We don't have a magic bullet other than the best pool care chemical there is, chlorine.

Until you have your own test kit that we can rely on the numbers there is nothing we can do other than feel bad about your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.