Teflon Tape how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I do it for new male adapters and females is to hold the fitting in my left hand hold the tape down at the base/ bottom of the M/A with a finger and wrap clockwise up the threads, back down to the base and back to the end where I rip the tape and smooth it. If either of the fittings are old, I'll add a thin layer of 'pipe dope' to the first ~5 threads, just to insure a good seal.
Using too much teflon can crack the female adapter, use enough but not too much!! When screwing them together, go hand tight (as tight as you can get it bare handed) and then use channel locks or similar to tighten it 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns.

Sorry, Poolio, but 10 wraps of teflon tape is crazy. It sounds to me like you read that somewhere but have no experience with teflon tape. You are begging to crack a plastic housing with 10 wraps.

Pool60, listen to Wolfmarsh....2-4 is exactly right.

Well so far I've tried 1, 2, and 3 wraps and I've gotten leaks with all three. It is a new male adapter going into the pump. This is frustrating

What about using the teflon that comes in a tube? I'm thinking of trying that next.

With many of the fittings I've had to deal with lately, I found I'm needing more and more layers of Teflon - 10 isn't that far off, now maybe it's the tape that's getting thinner, or maybe the male fittings are getting smaller, but I just added a bunch of plumbing to my setup and I must say, I was also using about 10 wraps, and nothing even came remotely close to cracking, probably could have even used 2 more wraps - and don't even start with the "no experience"

Matt,

I have to assume you tried less and it leaked.

Manufacturer's recommendations and a couple of plumbers I have spoken with all indicate 2-4. I have done maybe 200-300 joints with Teflon tape over the years using 2-4 wraps with a leak incidence of maybe 2-3 joints during that period.

The leaks I had were on larger (1.5") brass fittings which I have since learned do much better with pipe dope. As best I remember, I've never had a PVC joint leak.....even 2".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hi pool60
my pool installer who builds thar own shells and installs them and has done this for thirty year instructed me to use 14 raps of teflon tape then hand tighten as hard as i could then tighten half more with wrench. I havent had problems with any thing following this. I think your going to get a lot of ansers on this one and will have to pick one out.

Yes duraleigh, I've tried and had leaks - it's all been 1.5" grey fittings lately that seem to require about 10 layers, mind you I stretch it well into the grooves as one should - never apply loosely and never apply reverse threaded - meaning when you put the fitting on, it should not unwind the tape, it should try and wind it tighter.
I try not to reuse old fittings - it's nearly impossible to get all the teflon off the male portion.

Matt, et al, (I love using that "et al" thing....I think it means "and others".......I really hope it makes me appear smarter :lol: )

Just a little off the subject....you indicated grey fittings. In the US, that's typically Schedule 80 PVC. Same in Cananda? It has nothing to do with what were talking about, I'm just curious.

I have occassionally re-used fittings before. I've got a soft brass brush, similar to an outdoor grill grid cleaner but longer bristles, that does a pretty good job of removing the imbedded teflon from the threads. It has saved me a buck or two over the years and is quick and easy.

I'm still puzzled by the variation in procedure. I was thinking perhaps the PVC in Canada was metric and may have had somewhat different tolerances within the threads but you indicated US measurements for pipe size so that's not it. To my knowledge, teflon tape is all the same thickness so that's not it, either.

duraleigh said:
Matt,

I have to assume you tried less and it leaked.

Manufacturer's recommendations and a couple of plumbers I have spoken with all indicate 2-4. I have done maybe 200-300 joints with Teflon tape over the years using 2-4 wraps with a leak incidence of maybe 2-3 joints during that period.

The leaks I had were on larger (1.5") brass fittings which I have since learned do much better with pipe dope. As best I remember, I've never had a PVC joint leak.....even 2".

Dave, I usually use rolling paper when I 'do' joints :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.