Waterproofing prior to replastering?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I’ll be blasting off my old marble sheen plaster soon, and replacing with pebble plaster. I’ll repair some rusty concrete too.

id like to apply some sort of waterproofing or other protective coating to the concrete prior to replastering, to provide an additional barrier to the steel, so as to prevent chloride attack, carbonation etc.

does anyone have experience with waterproofing and other protective coatings applied prior to plaster/tiling? Any recommmed products?

Also check out Basecrete. Very good quality product and they stand behind their products

Basecrete

I had my pool replastered two years ago, and it’s already failing. I want to make sure I do it right the next time, I’m wondering if I have to sandblast everything or if there something I can put over the existing plaster? I’m having lots of little calcium deposit start to precipitate out, mostly the size of a fingernail or smaller but multiple. Would this product or any other product work?

I’ll certainly be blasting mine back to hard rough solid concrete.

my neighbour recently resurfaced theirs with pevbelcrete. It was painted concrete before that. The builder simply scabbled/chipped the paint! In total perhaps 25% of the paint was removed then they pebbled over it. I was really shocked that someone would do it that way. I would want 100% concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The nodules you are seeing are from the plaster not the Shell. Waterproofing certainly would help but your issue is the plaster that was applied.

Is your ground water ridiculously high?

I guess I don’t know about ground water being higher than normal, nothing has ever indicated that. I would doubt it is as my home is built on a pretty good slope as to where if you were in my front yard you would be probably deeper than the 6’ depth of my pool. Not sure if that makes any difference. Same goes for behind my pool, grade quickly rises. You can see in pic the grade. Basically the wall in the back is level with grade. Grade continues to the front of my property. This was from when the new plaster was applied looked good for about 8 months, then lost most color and started seeing the precipitation of white deposits.
5c062e4dfa3561af2f6c3ea5056099b9.jpg

It's especially important to use a bonding agent on remodel hence my recommendation for Basecrete. It's a bonding agent as well as waterproof membrane.

Ditto on Basecrete.

Basecrete has mothballed every other product or method.

OP - search www for basecrete & Vito, he will get find a way for you to get it.
He’s a great guy (plus a fantastic chef) and very accessible but you must go through their public contact channels.

Maybe you have a negative pressure water problem behind that wall....did they waterproof the wall on the outside before they backfilled....is there a French drain the direct water away from the wall?

There has been some landscaping put in place to help water runoff during heavy rains, no French drains directly behind the wall although there are some down below. It was built before I moved in so I have no idea if the wall is waterproofed, I would certainly hope so but I don’t know. When I do replaster, I just want to be sure I get it right the next time. Sorry to the OP for my hiJack, did not intend to do that. When I get closer to actually doing the plaster job I will start a thread with my questions. Thx all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.