Understanding my system

Xander

Apr 10, 2018
Phoenix Az
IMG_2305.jpg
I was curious what the "cleaning" input on the jandy valve is for if main drain/skimmer each have their own inputs there. I've been having issues with my pool cleaner really doing much. I've rebuilt the cleaner, cleaned my cartridge filters, checked the hosing, but no luck. Was curious if I don't have the jady valve in the optimal position for the cleaner.

x,

You have a suction side cleaner, which will not work well unless you have a lot of suction from the pump.

This means the pump has to be running at almost full speed and the valve marked cleaner should be between 100% and 80% full open.

The problem is that you have two different technologies pulling you in two different directions.. VS pumps are designed to run slow to save you electrical energy, but suction side cleaners were designed about a million years ago when single speed pumps were what everyone had.

Your best option is to dump the suction side cleaner and go with a Robot that does not need the pump to run at all.. but that of course costs money.. :rolleyes:

The next best thing is to only run the cleaner a couple of times a week, when the pool needs it, and do so manually.. You would normally run your system with the cleaner port shut off and the pump running at a low RPM... When you want to run the cleaner, you would set the valve to shut off all (or most) of the skimmer and main drain, and set the pump to run at about 3,000 RPM for a few hours.

Depending on your cleaner, you "might" be able to find a spot on the valve where just ramping up your pump to 3K will make the cleaner work. If so, you can just schedule your pump to run at 3K, for a couple of hours every day..

I no longer use a suction side cleaner, the same way I no longer use the old black, rotary dial phone that my parents had when suction side cleaners were invented.. :p I use a robot..

Thanks,

Jim R.

x,

You have a suction side cleaner, which will not work well unless you have a lot of suction from the pump.

This means the pump has to be running at almost full speed and the valve marked cleaner should be between 100% and 80% full open.

The problem is that you have two different technologies pulling you in two different directions.. VS pumps are designed to run slow to save you electrical energy, but suction side cleaners were designed about a million years ago when single speed pumps were what everyone had.

Your best option is to dump the suction side cleaner and go with a Robot that does not need the pump to run at all.. but that of course costs money.. :rolleyes:

The next best thing is to only run the cleaner a couple of times a week, when the pool needs it, and do so manually.. You would normally run your system with the cleaner port shut off and the pump running at a low RPM... When you want to run the cleaner, you would set the valve to shut off all (or most) of the skimmer and main drain, and set the pump to run at about 3,000 RPM for a few hours.

Depending on your cleaner, you "might" be able to find a spot on the valve where just ramping up your pump to 3K will make the cleaner work. If so, you can just schedule your pump to run at 3K, for a couple of hours every day..

I no longer use a suction side cleaner, the same way I no longer use the old black, rotary dial phone that my parents had when suction side cleaners were invented.. :p I use a robot..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, that was a huge help!

x,

I recommend you play with different valve positions and different pump speeds and see how they effect your cleaner's operation..

Let us know the outcome, as it might help others with the same problem later..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Xander,

Jim's on - not sure if you have any trees or other that dumps A LOT of leaves into your pool, but being in the desert, I am assuming no. If so, I would go Robot. it will also clean the walls and tile of your pool, all automated. Running your VSP at high rpms [3150-3450] is not optimal, depending on the make/model. You should have a surge protector at a minimum, in the pool panel preferably, but the main panel is next best.

Robots are great cleaners and use little energy. There only drawback is if you have TONS of leaves bc if they fill up, their suction capability is minimal..

FInally, create a signature like Jim's and mine where you include all your pool equip info - helps to better answer your questions..good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.